Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hyalgan  (Read 11675 times)

Offline Argie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Have faith and hope for the best
Hyalgan
« on: October 23, 2003, 04:43:58 AM »
I had an MRI and was diagnosed with severe chondromalacia.

My OS suggested Arthroscopy or an injection of Hyalgan for starters.

Has anyone heard of anyone having had this injection. From what I have read, this is similar to Synvisc but requires 5 injections as opposed to Synvisc.
|==>--

Offline panbagnat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • One day I will run again !!!!
Re: Hyalgan
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 01:50:23 PM »
Hi,

I had a LR on my right knee last June but before that they tried 3 injections of Ostenil and it did not do anything.  However, 2 weeks ago (4 months after the LR), I had an injection of DUROLANE: it is a new product, with a concentration higher than SYNVISC and you only need 1 injection.  It did not remove all the pain I have, but I can say I can see a very little improvement.  Actually it is supposed to take 4 weeks before beeing completely operational, so we'll see.

By the way sorry by adavance for my very bad spelling....

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 10:26:52 PM »
Hi

Synvisc is a product name, the fluid they inject is Hyaluronic acid. I had 2 series of 3 injections : 1 series in august 2001 with Ostenil and 1 series spetember 2003 with Adant. These are product names U probably haven't heard off (they are often used here in Belgium) but it's the same thing as Synvisc.

I didn't have much painrelief from the 1st series, now I am almost painfree! But this is only a temporary effect, it will ware off in a few months and I will probably need more serie in future. But for now I am glad it works. But if I squat standing only on my bad L knee (had a TTT), U can hear a lot of cracking and crunching, people just can't understand that it doesn't hurt a lot :P

Good luck!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline seegalone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hope we all can have a race one day...
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 02:11:59 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I live in the States, how is that for reaching out...
I have ostheoarhritis in the R knee, post arthroscopy about 18 years ago (skiing injury). I'm a bit confused (which could be my normal state of mind anyway ;)) about different products for injections. Am I correct that the newest is hyaluronan, under perhaps different brand names, in the States it's Hylan G-F 20 which has a double molecular weght of 20 as opposed to 10 in the past. It was approved here sometimes in the fall, but I'm quite sure that it was available in Europe for much longer.
I am trying to learn all I can here about the efficacy of these injections. The pain i have usually comes on after walking for 2-3 blocks and gets rather bad, however rest usually relieves it. I have not even found  an OS yet, as I do not care much for the one who was taking care of me before. The odds of finding a OS in Chicago at this Forum are probably nill, but it does not hurt to mention it...
Krys

Offline squan36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 11:47:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new here too !!!

I have an incredibly loud squishing noise coming from my right knee. Xrays have revealed some arthritis but, to me it sounds like much more. I can't find any info on this "squishing" noise coming from my knee.

Anyway, I take Celebrex 2x daily (it really doesn't do anything) and received the series of 5 Hyalgen injections in September. They have done nothing !

The noise is getting louder and the dull pain around the kneecap is getting stronger. I have general weakness in that knee when walking and the noise can only be heard when walking UP stairs.

The injections themselves were not too painful just uncomfortable. Like I said however, they have not provided any relief. I'm beginning to wonder if this is something more than arthritis...

Good Luck !
Brian

Offline JorJor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 12:52:11 AM »
I am in the middle of getting my 7th series of injections. I have tried all the lubricate injections products on the US market and found Hyalgan works the best for me. To me it is worth a try before being cut on...
5 surgeries (2 Micro-Fractures)! 8 rounds of Synvisc, Hylogan(sp?) & Supartz.  5th Scope 2/13/03 chrondoplasty & rp m. meniscus. Won't let it stop me...walked 60 miles in 3 Days for Breast Cancer.

Offline seegalone

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • hope we all can have a race one day...
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 09:14:56 AM »
Hi, Brian,
Just my 2c. From my own experience- my first OS took a couple of Xrays,  did not suggest an MRI, and did not think the problem in my knee was severe enough to warrant any intervention. I finally saw someone else, who sent me for a high quality MRI (apperently they are not all the same, high spin echo something...) and it turns out that there is a lot more to the details of the OA in my knee that it was originally presumed. I thought maybe you should ask your doc about it, or go for a second opinion...
Good luck.
Krys

Offline squan36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004, 02:28:05 AM »
Thanks Krys ! I will be getting a second opinion...

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 05:50:59 PM »
Just a warning, I have no allergies to eggs, poultry, and sleep with a down pillow. One day after injection knee swelled a bit, then slowly my temperature rose to 104.7 C. I hear I am one of the only people with such a reaction in the US, but it's something to think of. I was in pain before, but now it's worse and I am 29 with a walker.

Jenn
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
Bilateral Femoral-Patella Chrondo
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 07:12:46 PM »
Hi, Jenn:
How long ago did you have your injection?  Is it back to it's pre-injection condition?  I had 2 and had a bad reaction to both of them, so have aborted the treatment.  I did not get a fever, but my knee swelled to twice it's normal swollen size and was extremely painful.  My knee still feels considerably worse than it did prior to the first treatment back in August.
Nancy.

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 08:55:26 PM »
I had only the first injection. Now the doctor wants to try Synvisc. I don't want any injections further!
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
Bilateral Femoral-Patella Chrondo
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 09:37:39 PM »
I actually had Synvisc, not hylagan.  I don't want any more either!!!!

Offline wend1175

• Regular Poster
  • Does it ever get better
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 12:30:18 AM »
i just started the Hyalgan shots last week...by sounds of what everyone is saying this might be a complete waste of time ??? i hope pain goes away for a little while anyway....but doc had my hopes up that this would give me at least a year break from pain....ooh well thanyou all enjoying reading your opinions.
Wendy
Torn Medial Meniscus & LR 3/3/03, Maquet Procedure 6/11/03, Arthroscopy, medial meniscectomy, revision of Tubercle osteotomy R knee 4/20/04,12/14/04 removal of hardware, 11/03/2006 torn meniscus left knee

Offline grannynan

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2004, 02:52:59 AM »
Hey, Wendy!
Don't give up too soon.  Hylagan and Synvisc definitely didn't work for me, but they work very well for some people.  I know someone whose knee felt "like new" after his injections.  He was supposed to go back after 7 months to have them redone, but said that his knee still felt great - and he has a very active job.  Good luck!
Nancy.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2004, 11:40:59 PM »
Wendy:

My OS told me that Synvisc only works about 40% of the time, but for those it helps, it's a miracle. It does seem to work better for early problems than more advanced. The great thing is that the treatment can be repeated as needed....even every six months. I figure it is worth a try and plan to start it in Novmeber.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

support