Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cartilage Flap Surgery  (Read 5283 times)

Offline UHNRogTO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cartilage Flap Surgery
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
I have been living with a cartilage flap in Trochlea of Femur for about 5 years now.  I originally had it scanned in 2005 and the Orthopaedic Surgeon suggested if I could manage without surgery to continue on.  There was no locking at the time, just pain on inside of right knee cap.  I was fairly successful managing with physio, ART etc. However over last 8 months I have struggled with it to the point where I have had to significantly cut back on activity.  Although, interestingly this time most of the pain is on the top outside of the knee cap and I get it doing pretty much anything (cycling, walking, even if just lifting light weights in an athletic stance). 

Had it scanned again and the Orthopaedic has suggested he can go in remove the flap and do something about the nerve, however because of the damage can't say whether it is going to solve it or not.  But unlikely to come out any worse.  He was very helpful.  But, has anyone else seen or been through a similar history and can share their experience with me?

I am also still trying understand how the pain moves around the knee cap. Originally on the inside bottom side, now outside and top.

Thanks

cdubb

Re: Cartilage Flap Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »
I had a grade 4 cartilage flap on my right knee patella that was debrided during a scope and lateral release in 2001.  I managed okay until recently; however, my left knee is what completely fliipped out on me even though the right is still very symptomatic.  I just had a left knee ACI to repair the cartilage and an AMZ (TT) to realign things and unload the defect.  The left knee wasn't a flap tear though, but it was a grade 4 defect.  I also had the right scoped again and the defect is larger than it was 9 years ago in the right knee, but slightly smaller than the left. If the left knee recovery goes well, I in a year or so, I may do the right knee ACI to repair the defect there also.  I also managed okay from my scopes until recently.

My pain also was sometimes under the kneecap and other times on the lateral side. 

I don't know what the Dr. was talking about the nerve issue, but if you get scoped the Dr. will be able to debride the flap and assess how large and deep the defect is to determine if other cartilage restoration like ACI, Denovo, OATS, microfracture may be viable options.

Offline UHNRogTO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
Had the surgery a week or so ago and the procedure went very well. I was a little surprised when they told me to walk on it after 1 hr out of the OR, but it was pretty good. I haven't been using crutches and the extent of my activity has been walking.  i am slightly concerned about swelling. It is still quite prevalent. There is also a fair amount of pain on the entire outside of the knee when I touch it, almost like a bruise but there is no discoloration.  Time will tell on the success of the procedure but if anyone has any input on the level of swelling one could expect I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

cdubb

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »
Was it just debrided?  If so, then that makes sense why you could just walk out.  I walked out of the hospital with both my chondroplasty's and lateral releases and my ACI biopsy scope.  As for swelling, that is really individual.  I had a fair amount of swelling with my first chondroplasty, but the 2nd not much at all and not a whole lot with my ACI biopsy.  I had a good amount with the ACI with the TT....but that is way more work and involved cutting and realigning your tibia, a swell as flipping the kneecap over and doing work on that. 

Good luck in your recovery.  Your recovery may depend on how large and thick the chondral defect was.

Offline UHNRogTO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 09:41:35 PM »
Well it is now 10 weeks on and I have been going through the PT regularly trying to strengthen. Unfortunately not sure that the issue of pain on the outside of the knee cap is resolved. I still have pain consistent with what I had before the arthroscopy to clean it up.  Specifically when I have weight bearing flexion on the knee it seems to be in the first 10 to 25 degrees of flexion. The PT has suggested that it is likely the Patella rubbing through the Trochlea at the damaged point. I go see the Orthopaedic surgeon again this week for the post surgery follow up. Really don't know what to expect. I wish I could get back to activity.

support