Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee popping and locking, was I misdiagnosed?  (Read 2513 times)

Offline nnkuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee popping and locking, was I misdiagnosed?
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
Dear all,

Thought Id start a 2nd thread after talking to a few people. In September I was playing football and got tackled and felt a sudden pop in my right knee and after that swelling. Then time and time again my knee would lock and be very painful suddenly. I had an MRI and was told that I had a small bucket handle tear in the lateral mensicus and had it scoped and a partial menisectomy. However after that I started having similar symptoms to it preoperatively, infact I'd say it was worse, the knee was very painful and I had it scoped again, this time only a wash out was performed. This was about 5 weeks ago now and the popping and clcicking still happens, although not painful  but I'm worried thats not actually a meniscal tear that was the problem. Is this normal behaviour for the popping and clciking to happen? I'm going to go get a 2nd MRI done and get a 2nd surgeon to look at it, but what could be wrong? Thanks

Offline PhilA31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee popping and locking, was I misdiagnosed?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
This clicking problem shouldn't be anything major. It could just be your joints (just like when you click your fingers) I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

If there is any swelling or if the knee becomes hot, I  would suggest seeing a Dr.
I'd also consider consulting a Dr if you're experiencing problems in the knee.

Offline nnkuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:46:19 AM »
There isnt swelling or heat, but these clicks are very worrying. I am seeing a new doctor at some point soon, but I was hoping someone here would have an idea.

Offline nnkuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Well scratch that, its now become painful again. I'm becoming further and further depressed, I know the NHS is great for what it is and I understand that this time of year everything slows down, but it doesn't really help. Ah well.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 08:35:08 AM »
It could well be that you have another tear, it is not unusual once the meniscus is damaged. If it is painful then you need to get it seen as soon as possible. Knowing how the NHS works, your best bet is to get your GP to make an urgent referral, rather than try and go through A&E and then the Fracture Clinic (the usual orthopaedic route and fairly long-winded.) Due to your weather situation A&E is likely to be overloaded any way.

For information purposes - a few years back I had a meniscus trim at the beginning of September and, due to slipping on a wet floor in the hospital resulting in an awkward fall in the October, was given another exploratory arthroscopy where they found further tears. That was less than 8 weeks later, so it does happen. You say it was a small bucket-handle tear and that the symptoms returned very quickly - it could well be that they did not scope out all of the damaged tissue. They don't cut it out in lumps rather they slice very thin sections off until they feel they have reached healthy tissue. It is not an exact science and perhaps your surgeon was trying not to remove too much of the meniscus.

;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline nnkuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 02:32:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I have an MRI booked for the 15th of Jan, will see how that goes.
This catching seems to be getting better, but I can't get up stairs without it feeling like its going to buckle, or even turn the knee slightly. Did you experience pops/clicks/catches after you had yours done?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

support