Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fulkerson Osteotomy  (Read 669 times)

chrystyna

Fulkerson Osteotomy
« on: December 22, 2010, 02:46:40 AM »
I am 22 years old and had arthroscopic knee surgery August 10, 2010 to remove a piece of bone from when I dislocated my right knee playing volleyball.  I have been in PT ever since, but my knee still really hurts when I bend it.  I was told normally after arthroscopic knee surgery you are in PT for 3 weeks...i have been there for over 4 months now!  After see my OS who did the surgery he sent me to a new OS who specializes in the "hard" cases.  After being put through more x-rays, a mri, and a ct scan, I was told my knee cap is out of place, i have arthritis, the cartilage is wearing away, and something about subluxating.  I was told the only way to fix the problem and to stop my knee from dislocating is to go through surgery, but the OS keeps saying this is a major major surgery.  He mentioned doing a fulkerson osteotomy and putting 2 screws in my knee.  He says that I will be on crutches for 8 weeks and will not be allowed to put any weight through my leg.  I am a college student majoring in early childhood education and have off for a month now for winter break.  MY OS says there is not a really good time to do the surgery and that it is up to me.  If I wait a year to do the surgery will I do more damage to my knee?  Or should I just do the surgery the beginning of January and suffer the first few weeks of school still being on crutches?  Also, has anyone else gone through this surgery and can give me some tips on how it will feels and what I will face after the surgery? 

Thank YOU!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:55:28 AM »
Hi Chrystyna
Welcome to the board.
It is a difficult surgery and requires an extensive recovery time.(Many Months).
As far as doing more damage, that is hard to say as I am not a DR.  Don't even know if they know for sure.
It is a very painful surgery for most people.  But you do have age on your side which will help to heal faster.
Read some of the post op diaries they will give you some idea of what to expect but remember everyone is different, feels pain different and heals different.
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

cdubb

Re: Fulkerson Osteotomy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »
There are a lot of TT people on the boards and we all have different experiences. It is a major surgery, but based on reading other threads, being NWB for 8 weeks is rare.  I was heel/toe touch for 4 weeks and then could progress to being FWB at 6 weeks (I'm 7 weeks today) and in crutch weaning stage and still have a pretty marked limp.  I also had an ACI procedure with it though, which is some of the reason for my limp. Some people are WBAT from day 1.  I asked my Dr. why some TT's are WBAT, but he restricts.  He said bearing much weight is risky and can result in tibial fractures.  Anway...there are some TT's who are a few months out and doing great (Duckie and Mermaids).  The surgery itself is uncomfortable, but I would not describe it as very painful personally.  My pain level really was a pretty steady 3-4/10, so not terrible by any means.  Don't get me wrong...I absolutely needed and took pain meds, but they kept pain in check.  I could be an anomoly though.  Immediately waking up, I was in a farir amount of pain, but morphine took care of it pretty quickly, so I never even had a femoral nerve block.  Mine was also outpatient and I was discharged an hour after waking up, but many others are kept for 1-2 nights.  For me, I liked being home and I managed fine on oral pain meds.  The decision to do inpatient vs. outpatient is a Dr.  preference. 

Return to school will be tough though because crutching longer distances is just exhausting.  The first 2 weeks post op are the roughest because you just tire so easily.   That was a bigger obstacle for me than pain.  I didn't physically return to the office until 5 weeks post op, but worked from home earlier. 

Everyone really is very different. Each of our knees were in different conditions heading into surgery, we have different knee mechanics, we all experience pain differently, each of our surgeons may have different techniques resulting in different post operative experiences...there are a lot of variables on what you personally will experience.  It is good to read through different diaries though because you'll get an idea of what others have gone through.

support