Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: microfracture surgery  (Read 1081 times)

Offline dalcrazy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
microfracture surgery
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:30 PM »
just wandering if anybody has had good luck with this proceedure ??? I am having surgery soon. I have had toooooo many menicus repairs 4 2 on each I hope this works. Or knee replacement on both
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:33:40 PM by dalcrazy »

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
Re: microfracture surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:23 AM »
Hi-can you tell us more about your situation? Where is your defect(s), how big, etc? There are many factors that determine whether microfracture has a good chance to be a success. One thing i can say is that microfracture is not a treatment for meniscus injuries-i'm guessing that your meniscus injuries led to damage to your articular cartilage? Also, if you are at the point where knee replacement is being talked about i doubt that you are a good candidate for microfracture surgery. If these questions are things you have no idea about i would advise you to get some answers from your doctor before you have the surgery.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:33:48 AM by jt801 »
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

cdubb

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:05:08 AM »
I'd agree to talk to your Dr. about the chance of success of microfracture, which would depend on the specifics of the defects.  How much of your meniscus do you have left?  Are ACI, Denovo or OATS (autograft or allograft) options.  Is there any chance you also need a meniscal transplant?

Offline dalcrazy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:20:53 AM »
my surgery is on the tibial plteau, I belive I still have pretty much all of them. My 1st surgery was 1yr ago the next 1 was 1month later then a year later I had them done again. all the tears were in different stops. My dr did not find any OA on either knee but a year later when he found a good part on both knees that was wear away.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:17:53 AM by dalcrazy »

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:05:41 AM »
Thats a tough one-from what i have observed mfx surgeries on the tibial plateau seem to be relatively uncommon. The most favored areas appear to be the patellofemoral joint and the femoral condyles (mine was lateral femoral condyle). At any rate the tibial plateau is a weight bearing area so you are going to be non weight bearing for about 6 weeks after your mfx. Whether a continuous passive motion (CPM) machine will be prescribed i don't know. From what i have learned the size and location of the cartilage defect are key factors in the success of the procedure-not only that but how well one is willing to follow the recovery protocol. Certainly the mfx can be succesful-myself and others on this site are living proof. With that said every situation is different and only you and your surgeon can make the decision if its right for you. Ask lots of questions!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

support