Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Slacking on PT and knee feels like crap  (Read 715 times)

Offline Sarcasmus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Slacking on PT and knee feels like crap
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
Need a llittle gut check here.  I am a little shy of 6 months post ACL reconstruction and lateral miniscus trim.  For about a week or so, I missed out on hitting the gym for strength training and exercising my knee.  At the tail end of the week, my knee just felt like crap, slushy, creaky and gross, but not painful.  Beginning on Sunday, I started back into my exercises and while it feels better, it still feels off.  I feel the same kind of pressure under the patella that I felt two months ago.  I feel like I set myself back a lot by missing out on exercise for a week.  Anybody have a similar experience?  What's the wisdom here--just never miss more than one or two gym appointments?  Anyone with similar experience find that they get back on track with a good feeling knee after getting back on the exercise routine?

Thanks all.

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Slacking on PT and knee feels like crap
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »
I'll share my own personal opinion although I think you should be fine. I'm around 3 months post op and missed a week around 2 weeks ago. When I say I missed a week I was on holiday in Bali and I wasn't doing my usual rehab program. The only activity for my knee was lots of walking (mainly shopping with the wife!) and some light exercise in the pool pretty much every day. When I got back the knee was a little stiff but not too bad. After getting back in the swing of things (after 1 or 2 days) the knee felt great.

However in my case I was doing a lot of rehab to the point where my PT said he had to slow me down! If anything the break probably did me some good. Without being an expert I would say a week off is not a bad thing although a month off would probably be a disaster! How much were you doing before your week off? I'm guessing you will be back on track and feeling fine after a couple more days. Good luck!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)