Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I need some advice: Post op, ACL reconstruction  (Read 9446 times)

Offline porky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need some advice: Post op, ACL reconstruction
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »
Hi, I'm just here to enquire about my ACL. I had it reconstructed using the patella tendon on friday. So I'm coming into my 5th day after surgery.
I saw the physio today, and got my excercies to complete for the next few weeks. I can't operate my (I think) Quadtricepts, I can't lift my leg up when I'm laying yet.
Since I can't control my muscles, it has been fairly odd, trying to lift it- my brain tells it to lift, but nothing happens!

Anyway, I was sitting on the couch, and my leg was on the very edge. It fell off, and since I have no strength, it immediately fell to the floor, bending my knee past my current flexion ability (65 degrees)
It hurt at the time, but not too bad, but seems to be stiffening up a little bit, and a little more sore than usual. Could this indicate any damage, or will it be fine? I can still put weight on it, walk without crutchers, and bend it.

Another question, at this early stage, will the graft be easy to tear, or will it be strong?

Thankyou in advance.

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
Re: I need some advice: Post op, ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
I had the same problem as you.  Quadriceps shut down after surgery and there very hard to retrain to turn back on.. Did you try using an E-stim?
Electrical Stimulation

Offline porky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
They have only set me excersises to regain control of the muscle, nothing else.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 05:32:45 PM »
If the leg just fell straight down, it's extremely unlikely that you will have done any damage to the graft - most likely you've just aggravated the surgical swelling a bit. Your poor knee has been through a big trauma and at 5 days out will still be very sore and sensitive.

When the graft goes into your knee it undergoes a process where it gets gradually weaker for a while as cells die off, then strengthens up again. Over time it establishes a blood supply and lays down collagen, but this is quite a slow process. There's a really good description here:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1644

The graft is very vulnerable up until about 12 weeks, so this is the time when you need to be very careful about following your PT's instuctions.

With regard to the quads, keep plugging away trying to get them firing - I know it feels odd when they just don't respond, but if you keep working at it eventually you'll get a twitch out of them, and then it will get much easier.

Best of luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline PhilA31

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »
Hey Porky,

To assure you, I had the exact problem as you and I used the Patella Tendon aswell.

Your answer is patience! Your knee must be very swollen at this point - and it's important you take everything easy. I had the exact same problem for the first 2-3 weeks and eventually you'll be able to. I'm 3 months post op so I've experienced your problems.

Don't push yourself, if you can't don't because the ligament is very venerable at this stage.

Hope I've helped!

Offline porky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 12:21:33 AM »
Thanks everyone, gaining some control over my quad now!

Offline porky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
can anyone also give me an insight into when it is safe to drink again? i also smoke sometimes, usually once a month, cananyone tell me when this is allowed? thanks

support