Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bordom is killing me  (Read 20039 times)

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Bordom is killing me
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

Hello All

I just want to take this time and thank all of you fellow knee people who are currently going through these tough times and people who have servived and overcome. To all who have spread their knowledge and helpful hints . To all friends from all over Canada, US, and the UK

All you guys have helped me out so much , especially with the kind words .

I want to wish everyone a merry Christmas and wonderful new year ! it got to be better then this one  ;D
Thank you.

Soozles, Rode1981, EmergeRn , Emzobe, Rknees4, and everyone who has sent US a kind word of support and encouragement.

Rossco12

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 01:24:04 PM »
Rossco
No need to thank us! We are all in the same place and going through different painful stages of this horrible injury. This site has helped me understand a lot of things as well.  It's so good that basically we are all strangers grouping together to help each other.  It's a wonderful support system. I am on the way to the original OS...hopefully there's some good news and a light at the end of this tunnel.  Have a great holiday.

P.S. If you are on facebook...join the Weak Knees Group.
Date of Accident 9/5/2010
Extenal Fixator: 9/7/2010
Open Reduction: 9/14/2010, External Fixator removed, Leg placed in a Bledsoe Brace
Hospital/Rehab Discharge:  10/4/2010
Dx: Tibial Plateau Fx with Meniscal Repair, PCL
NWB: 3 months
Home OT and PT for first month
Starting private PT 12/1/201

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 03:35:56 PM »
Aww, no need to thank us. Things do get better, the first 4 weeks when I was home were miserable, I was so bored. I think we all have been there, and a lot of people don't understand unless they've been through it. My grandparents especially thought I should be off crutches 2 days after surgery, they didn't understand that even if I wanted to, I wasn't allowed to bear weight. It was frustrating to say the least because every day they would ask me if I was putting weight on my leg yet, and no matter how many times I explained that I couldn't bear weight until the graft heals, they just didn't get it.

Right now, when I go to PT, I'm the earliest post op patient at the times that I go, and it's just so frustrating when mostly everything I do happens on the table and everyone else gets to use the fun machines while I'm stuck ending up in tons of pain because of trying to go all the way around on the bike. It definitely helps when they cheer me on because they have been in my situation when it's frustrating and every revolution on the bike hurts like hell. It's also nice to see that it does get better at some point. Right now, it looks like it's far away, and although nobody else there had a PCL repair, surgery is surgery, and I think quad shrinkage and painful bending are common among all knee surgeries. And hopefully, in a couple months when I'm at the more advanced stage of my rehab, if someone comes in fresh from their surgery, I can provide the same support that people have given me in PT. I think it's just the natural cycle.

BTW, I don't know how you spend your days, but when I'm home all day, I always feel more "human" if I get dressed in the morning, even though there isn't much else I can wear besides sweatpants or scrubs. I essentially change from pajama to pajama because I'm not going to wear my wide legged work pants around the house and jeans don't fit over the brace, but at least I feel more normal. Youtube is another great time killer. I especially like to find song parodies relating to stuff I'm interested in, I found a lot of funny med school videos and stuff like that.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
No probs Rossco,
That is what this place is for.  We all know the pain and frustration. That's what makes this place so great.  No need to really explain they just "GET IT"
Hang tough.
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
happy Boxing Day Rossco12 ;D,

I was just thinking about this boredom question that you had posed.  Well, my advice to you is not working for me this time.  Everyone is too busy with their families.  My own sister even went for a spin, and didn't tell me :-[.  I hope you had a great Christmas, and that you had lots of company!  Any new suggestions?  I seem to be spending far too much time on Knee Geeks..lol.  Whatever works!

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:13 PM »
I have a great idea! Why not look for vacations? That's my latest thing, I know that I'm not going to have a chance to go on half these trips i look at, but I like picking a location, looking at hotels in the area, finding the attractions nearby. Dorky, I know, but it's something I do when I'm bored, especially if I have an upcoming vacation in 6 months or something. I love looking at hte pretty pictures of the resort hotels, seeing the attractions of the European cities. Keeps me entertained for hours.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
Hey Rossco,
Hang in there the knee will get better, don't listen to other people knee stories they are a very individual thing. Knees take a long time to get better, no marathons yet.  Take life like your dog for now.  "If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away." (hobble away).
Take care,
Keep working on the knee it will improve.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 06:13:13 PM »
What a great idea to plan vacations, even if imaginary! I have spent time reading up on my hobbies and I have enjoyed browsing tons of blogs about things that interest me. But yesterday I decided I was going to (imaginary) redecorate my entire house!  I'm going to go room by room and choose furnishings and decor. I think it will be fun and will be something different.
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 05:27:22 AM »
Hey Rossco,
How goes the boredom? Find something to occupy some of your time, like PT now isn't that a fun past time?
Take Care,
Hang in there.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »
Hello All
Bordom , OMG , well right now I still have guests over , this too is killing me,  they go out and shop , dine and party it up and the best I can do is go out for a couple of hours because my knee swells and starts to pain and throb. I went in to work yesterday and saw some of the guys and brought some coffee's over ( nice to see some faces ) so I guess it hasn't been super bad but still I hate missing out on all the day to day life stuff that I really can't do.

How is everyone it seems quiet on here these days

whats everyones plans for New Years ?

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »
Morning Rossco,
Just in a holding pattern until the New Year kicks out a bunch of new KG's and old ones get in for more surgery.
Other than that just the same old same old. Glad to hear you are getting out a little.  Nothing like being trapped at home.
Look at it as progress a week ago going out was almost impossible now you can handle a couple hours. ::)
Hang in there this knee thing is as much a head game as a knee thing.
Take Care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:02 PM »
Hey there Rk4

Your correct about the head game thing , I forgot to mention that I have been sleeping without my brace and it feels much better and I am able to sleep on my side , (Thank god ) I have never slept on my back until this accident , Do you have plans for New years eve ? or just tking it easy ? I am supposed to go to a wedding but may just cancel out and have a few drinks at home ,

Cheers Rk4
Rossco

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
Hey Rossco,
No plans just me and my old guy(hubby) at home.  My girls will all be out babysitting so others can go out.
Just the usual boring life of an over 45.
Glad to hear sleeping is easier.  Have you tried the pillow between the knees for more comfort.
That ways the knees don't gang together. I hate sleeping on my back as well and will be subject to it again come Feb. Not looking forward to that.
well Take Care,
Happy Knee Year. ;D
Rk4
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:57:21 PM by Rknees4 »
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 02:58:23 PM »
I'm finally sleeping a little bit on my side too!  I also place a small pillow in between my knees.  I can't stay in that position too long though.  I can't wait for this to be OVER!  This is definitely the worst injury I have ever sustained. 
Date of Accident 9/5/2010
Extenal Fixator: 9/7/2010
Open Reduction: 9/14/2010, External Fixator removed, Leg placed in a Bledsoe Brace
Hospital/Rehab Discharge:  10/4/2010
Dx: Tibial Plateau Fx with Meniscal Repair, PCL
NWB: 3 months
Home OT and PT for first month
Starting private PT 12/1/201

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Hey Everyone
Just wanting to wish everyone all the best for the New Year, I guess emergRN will be seeing the New Year in first , Unless some Aussies or Brits write in.

Love to all

Rossco

support