Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bordom is killing me  (Read 20924 times)

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Bordom is killing me
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:08 AM »
Getting out and about definitely helps but if you are staying indoors and love football (like I do!) I suggest playing Championship Manager  ;D

Hours of fun!!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:47 AM »
Hope the boredom isn't killing too many people. I forgot to add, one thing that helped me with the boredom was to switch rooms, I couldn't spend all day in one room. Even though there wasn't much I could do out of bed, if I went from my room to the couch to my parents room, to my sisters room, it helped keep the day more interesting. Also, my back would hurt always laying in the same bed, so changing up the mattresses seemed to help. Granted, we also live in a tiny apartment, so I didn't have a hike to get to the different rooms.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
Hey Soozle
I had a better night last night and am trying to get out with the help of friends and my son who is home from school , How are things going with you ?
Rossco

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
To break up the boredom my daughter picked  me up and took me Christmas Shopping but it was absolutely exhausting.  I love to shop but it was so frustrating being in a wheel chair and not fitting down the aisles.  I don't know if it was worth it or not! The only good thing is I am definitely ready for a nap!
Date of Accident 9/5/2010
Extenal Fixator: 9/7/2010
Open Reduction: 9/14/2010, External Fixator removed, Leg placed in a Bledsoe Brace
Hospital/Rehab Discharge:  10/4/2010
Dx: Tibial Plateau Fx with Meniscal Repair, PCL
NWB: 3 months
Home OT and PT for first month
Starting private PT 12/1/201

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »
Rossco, glad to hear you had a better night and trying to get out a bit.

I was doing pretty good, until someone at the hospital decided the stairs outside the main entrance needed to be cleaned, and the best way to accomplish this is with a hose. Of course, being that the temp was in the 20's most of the day, the water froze. And of course, I managed to slip on those stairs on my way out of the hospital. You want to get a lot of attention? Slip on crutches in front of a hospital. The knee feels ok though, a bit sore, but not terrible. I just hope I didn't do much damage.

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 11:19:41 PM »
OMG! That's terrible.  What morons.  I am sure they are going to be so scared you are going to sue them.  Be careful and hope you feel better.
Open Reduction: 9/14/2010, External Fixator removed, Leg placed in a Bledsoe Brace

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:20 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right. I haven't been able to walk much for over 6 months now. I've been on crutches for over 1 1/2 months now. Fortunately I'm an introvert who likes to read, but I also used to like to run and hike. It does start to beat you down after a while. I was actually having panic attacks last month, which I had never had before. I haven't had any in over a month, fortunately.

I've found that in addition to reading and TV, computer games can be a good diversion, especially if you can find someone to play with regularly online. It then becomes a social event, which as we all know, is good for psychological health too.

As for getting up and down stairs, I actually almost caused a serious injury to myself while crutching down the stairs, falling down about 5 or 6 stairs and my full weight onto one of my heels, so I now bump down as you describe. I get down onto the first step by just leaning over and first touching the ground with my hands, and then as gently as possible, lowering my body to the ground. Then I just go down one step at a time. For going up, I feel comfortable enough using crutches, so that's what I do.

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »
I guess practice will make perfect.  I'll give all your suggestions a try and see what's easiest for me.
Thank you!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:51 AM »
Rossco12,

I too live in a snowy climate and with my knee being unstable 10 weeks post-op, risking falling on the ice when I lack a strong sense of coordination to start with is not a pragmatic option. Although this is a somewhat off the wall suggestion and is certainly not for everyone, after going crazy and being limited to only walking for very short intervals, I started to teach myself a language. There are books on Amazon and software programs on the computer to do so. It's something that is interesting, different, requires a large chunk of time that I never have had otherwise, is fun, and helps to pass the time. It's just a suggestion, but definitely beats sitting around being miserable and bored. Happy healing!

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »

Hi all
og tback from the Doctor and he said my Knee is looking good but does not want to start PT just start passive ROM little by little when I went to do the exercises almost cried , Yikes . Hope everyones well ,

Cheers Rossco

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
Pt exercises are painful.  I cried like a baby today during PT.  My doctor ordered a CPM machine and it's coming tomorrow.  The scar tissue is not breaking up and the ROM has barely increased.  He wants me to use it before he does the MUA sometime in January.  Unfortunately, it is not covered by insurance.  I just want to get better so I will do whatever they tell me. 

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
Hi rode1981, whats a CPM machine , I am new to this game !  I have heard a lot about the scar tissue issue and hope you get well enough to continue your PT

Rossco12

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
PT hurts, a lot! Every time the therapist bends my knee, I can never look at him because I would scream obscenities if I saw his face. The other day, my dad was early in picking me up and he saw the last bit with the stretching and bending. My 6 foot 1, tough as nails dad felt faint when he saw him pushing on my knee. But, as my therapist likes to remind me, the more it hurts now, the easier and less painful it will be later. That said, I got my knee to bend to a very painful 120 degrees today! And I didn't need to do any back pedaling on the bike before being able to go all the way around. So a very non boring day today.

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 01:17:38 AM »
Evening Rossco
Knee surgery is painful to say the least, but I sometimes think PT is worse.  When I had my first knee done.  There was a big tough guy doing PT and he cried like a baby.  I sure felt for him.  Remember there is no same in a few tears. CPM machine is a machine you strap your knee into and the machine does the work.  It is called  continuous passive motion meaning the machine does the work and you go along for the ride. It can be set to a certain degree of bend that the OS and PT want.
Hang in there Rossco. It will get easier, just a time thing.
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 03:08:15 AM »
You already  now know what a CPM is.  I used it for my rotator cuff surgery and it helped a lot with my range of motion. I will need to be on it 3 to 4 hours a day.  It can be broken up hour by hour if I want. I think it's going to be more painful now because scar tissue already set in no thanks to the Visiting Nurse Service for deciding that PT at  home was "maintenance"....:(  It's not covered by insurance and this machine is $350 for a two week rental.   I hope it helps but the surgeon wants me to use it before the MUA.  And....this trauma goes on.