Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bordom is killing me  (Read 20412 times)

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Bordom is killing me
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
4 weeks post op for a RPT , there are tons of post on injuries and great people , What do people do for Bordom ? I have Read, TV, Movies, I swear if someone says it must be nice to be able to have time to sit down and read , I scream !!!

Rossco12

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
Re: Bordom is killing me
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »
Rossco12,

I had my friends all come and visit.  It is a great way to get a cup of tea made for you as well!  I also used to have my friends take me for drives in my own car.  I couldn't get in the front seat, so I left some pillows in the back, and we would go for a spin, get a coffee, and so on.  It was great to get out of the house.  I could handle the boredom after I had been out.  I don't think I went a day without getting out at least once.  Good Luck with your recovery!!

EmergRN
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:34:48 PM »
Thanks EmergeRN
I appreciate everytime I can get out , Of course it Winter in Ontario CAnada and I'm afraid of slipping with the crutches . But you are correct about friends coming over and or getting out . Never was one for shopping or such but would love to go for a walk . Guess you don't know what you got till it gone .

Thanks RN
Ross

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
I can completely relate. I am nearly 4 weeks post op PCL reconstruction, and I have been home all those 4 weeks, go back to my clinical rotations tomorrow actually. But I have been getting so bored, I was going crazy. My boyfriend would come over, but it was hard for me to go outside because I live on the second floor of a 2 family house and I had a hard time taking the stairs. He actually gave me his wii to keep myself occupied, I took up needlepoint, tried knitting a scarf. I organized my photos, tried to learn how to create nice hairdos, puzzles. I also loved my nook for keeping me occupied because when I wanted a new book, I could either buy it online and read it instantly, or download books from my library's website to save money. This way, I wasn't stuck reading the same books over and over. I was at the point where I was going stir crazy. I actually started my blog mostly because I was so incredibly bored, and typing up entries takes a while. Hope you find something to do.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »
Hi soozle
Are you going back to work ? I am sitting here right now watching my family cook and decorate the Christmas tree , my knee is tight as a tiger and I see my Doctor this Tuesday and I can only guess start PT , can't wait !

Cheers

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
I am so use to doing everything on my own.  It's driving me crazy. I can't read anymore, do any more puzzles, I watch way too much reality TV.  My big outing every other day is going to therapy which my daughter drives me too every other day.  My husband gets home too late to start the venture out and he is exhausted by work and the chores at home. My friends all work during the day and with the holidays they are busy themselves.  Sometimes, I get so depressed I just cry.  I WAS super independent before this accident. I hate relying on people. I would drive anywhere, go anywhere and now....stuck in this house.   Does anyone have a secret with doing stairs?  I can bump up but then I panic when I get to the top because I can't get up by myself, I need someone to help me up.  Then going down...I can't seem to get the knack of sitting on the top step to bump down so I need someone to support me and carry me down. It's so scary.
Date of Accident 9/5/2010
Extenal Fixator: 9/7/2010
Open Reduction: 9/14/2010, External Fixator removed, Leg placed in a Bledsoe Brace
Hospital/Rehab Discharge:  10/4/2010
Dx: Tibial Plateau Fx with Meniscal Repair, PCL
NWB: 3 months
Home OT and PT for first month
Starting private PT 12/1/201

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »
Rossco12, I'm actually in my final year of med school, and I had the surgery done during my vacation month. On Monday, I have to restart my rotations. Thankfully, it's just radiology which is known as a light rotation, not a lot of running around involved. I didn't start PT until 2 weeks post op, and when I did, it was fabulous. I actually felt like I was doing something to help with the road to recovery. I only go twice a week right now, because there isn't a whole lot I can do yet, but it quickly became the best part of my week.

rode1981, as someone who lives on the second floor, I got very adept at stairs. I'm going to start weaning off the crutches this week hopefully, but I manage the stairs in 1 of 2 ways. First is to have the crutches under one arm and hold the stairrail with the other. Then, I would hoist myself up each step. Honestly, this tired me out extremely quickly. So then, I would bump up the stairs, and at the top, someone would bring a stool to the landing. When my butt reached the landing, I would scoot back so that my good leg was on the top step, and then I would stand up on that step with only my good leg. I would then sit onto the stool, bring my good leg up, spin around so that I was facing the room, and get up with the crutches. Sounds complicated, but it worked well for me.

Going down the stairs I found easier than going up with the crutches. Both crutches under one arm, or give one to someone if you have someone else with you, and hold the stairrail with the other. Bring the crutches down onto the step below you and push down on the banister and crutches to come down. I was terrified at first, I still don't like taking stairs myself, but I can if I have to.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
Rossco12, 

I hear ya on the winter thing.  I am in NL!  If you have any tips for crutches in snow, please pass them on.  I will be back on the critters next Thursday!

EmergRN

Offline rode1981

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
I dont' have crutches.  I have a walker and a wheelchair.  The  stool or chair sounds like a good idea.  I will probably give that a try.  ISo for me going down is probably worse. I definitely can't do steps alone yet.
Date of Accident 9/5/2010
Extenal Fixator: 9/7/2010
Open Reduction: 9/14/2010, External Fixator removed, Leg placed in a Bledsoe Brace
Hospital/Rehab Discharge:  10/4/2010
Dx: Tibial Plateau Fx with Meniscal Repair, PCL
NWB: 3 months
Home OT and PT for first month
Starting private PT 12/1/201

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 01:05:59 AM »
Rossco12
I am also in ON.  Get aload of the snow.  Don't blame you for the crutches fear.  You definitely don't want to go backwards, with a fall.
I get to pickup the crutches again in Feb. Can't say I am thrilled about surgery at that time of year but at least I will be almost better by summer.
Not much you can do but hop on Kneegeeks and hangout.  There is always someone who will listen when it gets too bad.
Hang in there.  This too shall pass.  Try and find some movies you haven't seen.  Sorry just the usual bad advise.
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 02:13:32 AM »
For crutches in snow, they have ice cleats you can get that attach to the crutches near the tips, to add traction. they flip up out of the way for crutching on regular surfaces. I've seen other posts on here about them before.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 02:23:38 AM »
Hi Roscoe - the boredom thing almost killed me.  I finally found out that if I kept to a schedule (sort of) time went faster.  I would set up certain "appointments" with myself - grooming, eating, reading.  I also did my PT 2-3 times a day which got me off the couch and would exhaust me so much I needed a nap.  Once I could concentrate I took an online course.  Do you have a hobby that you can look up online.  Most hobby sites now have chat rooms where you can talk to others with the same interests.
Two of my favorite sites are the Smithsonian (SI.edu) and Library of Congress (loc.gov).  I could get lost for hours there.
Just remember, it does get better.

Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Rossco12

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:46:24 PM »
Hey MaryC 
You are right about the schedule thing , Find it hard to sleep thought , see my Doctor tomorrow regarding PT so that will help indeed too, I really appreciate everyones input and great to hear from People who are unfortunately are in the same position. But understand far more then anyone else could .

Cheers Rossco12

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »
Rossco12
Hope you are having a better day today.
It is hard doing nothing day in and day out.
Hopefully you get the greenlight for PT which will help fill in the day.
Watch out for ice!
Take Care,
Rknees4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:02:10 AM »
Thanks for the tip dm!  I think I will go pick them up tomorrow.  Rossco12..I hope you get moving with physio soon.  It is really great when you can start doing things again.  The exercise also makes you feel better, even when it probably much less than what you are used to.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I will probably need some tips on dealing with boredom in winter when I get back.  December is much different than August!  Well, I guess we can all fill our time on knee geeks!!!

EmergRN

support