Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Acl reconstruction recovery..  (Read 657 times)

Offline bensmith14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Acl reconstruction recovery..
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
Hi there,

I had left knee acl reconstruction surgery and a partial medial menisectomy, 4 days ago. After reading into the recovery from this surgery a lot before I had it I was expecting the worse. However I have had very little pain if anything and can nearly walk without crutches with zero pain. I have no bruising either, can straighten my leg and slowly but surely I am getting the bend back. The only thing that is similar to most surgery cases i have read about is that I cannot feel my shin.

I didn't have a brace and all the bandages around knee were taken off the day after surgery by the nurses on the surgeons ordered.

I find if hard to believe that I am having very different symptoms to most people although it is positive. I am worried I may have snapped the new ligament without realising?

I would really appreciate anyone elses opinion

Thanks

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Acl reconstruction recovery..
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
Numbness on the shin is super common post ACLr.  It's from nerves getting cut during the surgery. Most folks have it and it tends to fade a bit over time, but doesn't go away entirely. Most folks continue to have a numb spot for the rest of their life. 

After my ACLr, I was numb from my foot to my knee.  Now, I have an oddly shaped numb spot that goes from just below my knee to about mid shin, off to one side of my leg.  You can see the outlines of the numb spot best when it's cold out.  I don't get goosebumps where it's numb, but do on the rest of my leg. Freaky!

So, the basic message is: don't worry. It's normal. Will shrink over time, but probably won't go away entirely. Good news is that you don't need perfect sensation on your shin to do anything, so won't get in the way of day-to-day life at all. Good luck with your continued recovery.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline bensmith14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Acl reconstruction recovery..
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 12:24:04 AM »
Thanks for your reply that has taken my mind of worrying about shin numbness. However I am still worried I may have torn the new graft as I mentioned above due to small slip getting into the car yesterday (I wasn't driving) I felt a sharp pain down the back of my knee and since then have had limited pain.  I think i have either snapped or stretched my new graft and because it's only been in 4/5 days the ligament won't have really attached and that's why I have a small amount of pain.

Would be grateful for replies

Thanks

support