Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recovery Time?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Softball247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery Time?
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:13:09 AM »
You would think I should be a pro after 5 surgeries now but each one seems so different. My last surgery was on December 6th and I was given a good description of the chondroplasty procedure that I had. I would like to now the recovery time? It was done on my lateral femoral condyle. My OS had to remove the rest of my lateral meniscus which was frayed beyond repair. Is there a specific recovery time of dealing with no meniscus? My PT told me to use a cane so not to limp and basically we will take it slow but Im anxious to get back into sports. I hate using a cane but right now my knee is tight and the joint is sore  especially my lateral side after walking but with the holiday season I have to walk a lot.

Thanks for your respose
1996- L knee surgery ro repair torn meniscus
1997-L knee torn acl repaired
2005-L knee surgery to remove scar tissue and lateral meniscus
2008-L knee lateral menisectomy
2010-L knee lateral menisectomy and chondroplasty
2015-L knee lateral menisectomy,chondroplasty, and partial synovectomy

cdubb

Re: Recovery Time?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
I would suspect that with no meniscus that you're going to have ongoing pain. You may want to look into seeing if you're a candidate for a meniscal transplant to try and buy you some more time before too much degeneration sets in.  As for the chondroplasty, probably depends on how much articular cartilage you have left and if there is a focal defect or just thinning.

FYI...I was a softball player too.  I pitched in college. Do you still play?

Offline Softball247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:41:56 AM »
  ;DThanks for the reply. Yes I still play and I play the worst position which is catcher. Not sure how much my OS took out during the chondroplasty. However he believes I can continue playing but really should play another position. I will ask him about my options.

Thanks
1996- L knee surgery ro repair torn meniscus
1997-L knee torn acl repaired
2005-L knee surgery to remove scar tissue and lateral meniscus
2008-L knee lateral menisectomy
2010-L knee lateral menisectomy and chondroplasty
2015-L knee lateral menisectomy,chondroplasty, and partial synovectomy

cdubb

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:28:21 AM »
There is no way I could have ever been a catcher...my  knees hurt back to high school... I stuck around coaching for a couple seasons after I was done competing in college and would try to catch during some drills with our pitchers.  My knees would just scream at me.  I have no idea how catchers do it...yet us pitchers would be nothing without a solid catcher behind the plate!