Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Intermittent knee problem  (Read 554 times)

Offline Cutt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Intermittent knee problem
« on: December 16, 2010, 03:57:22 PM »
I know that I have to get to the doctor to check this out but I'm trying to see if anyone has had similar symptoms and what the outcome was.  I have been feeling pain in my knee on and off for a few months now and I cant really tie it to a specific event or injury.  I am 32 Y/O and am very active, I lift weights and play racquetball 3-4 times per week.  I also used to run quite a bit, until this nagging knee pain started.  I could run for a few miles and then I would have pain in my left knee and it felt like I couldn't bend it at all.  I thought maybe it was ITBS from too much running and backed way off in the mileage and even stopped running for an entire month.  Now it seems that I get pain in the knee after exercising and sometimes during but there does not seem to be a repeatable pattern.  I don't feel that there is instability but sometimes I will feel pain under and outside of the knee.  When sitting with a bent knee and kneeling down I also feel the pain.  There is also a crunching or cracking noise coming from the knee when I stand from a squatting position.  I have not been running for a few months and use the recumbent bike a few times a week for cardio.  I also had to take 3 weeks off from any strenuous activity due to an eye injury and had no changes to the pain or aggravating factors after returning to activity.  Anyone with similar symptoms out there have any idea what this could be?

Offline SqshPlr8

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Intermittent knee problem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »
Definitely see a doctor.  The doctor should be able to rule out structural or ligamental issues. 

But it sounds like you might have good, ol' fashioned "runner's knee," otherwise known as chondromalacia patella or patellafemoral syndrome.  The condition, though commonly diagnosed, is not well understood, the consequences of which can be spectacularly devastating.   The following threads should be enlightening (if not completely frightening as to how ridiculously severe this thing can become): 

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=53006.0
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52770.0
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52020.0

I also recommend this tutorial (it's $20, but is comprehensive and, in my experience, worth it)
saveyourself.ca/tutorials/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome.php

There are lots of links and info up there.  Suffice to say, the practical, take-home messages are:
1) Avoid activities that irritate your knees (Duh, right?)
2) No, seriously.  Avoid or limit any activity that may irritate your knees, including everyday stuff, examples being stairs, sitting with knees bent, etc.
3) Now, don't rest too, too much.  Keep those knees in motion, but at a pace and load that won't irritate your knees.  You want to find a "Goldilocks" zone.
4) Maintain a level of skepticism towards strengthening/stretching exercises.  If something hurts (even if it is a "delayed" pain), stop.  Even more disheartening, conventional physical therapy, even the sparest kind, can make matters worse for some people. (My first round of physical therapy nearly destroyed my knees.)

Again, the above links (and links within threads) go in to great detail and should be particularly useful, so take a look.   Best of luck.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:58:40 PM by SqshPlr8 »