Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can ligaments wear out?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Can ligaments wear out?
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:30 PM »
I've got a very small partial acl tear in my right knee and the left knee and some laxity in the left, whiochw as caused bya  sprain and is a bit stretched.  I know that if I went back to any kind of sport I would run therisk of completly rupturing them, which is why the pt has told me never to return toKarte, even if I feel well enough.

If I never do any kind of sport and just use my knee for static cycling and day to day activites as well as walking for a few miles and standing on it for most of the day can this lead to the degeneration of my acl or will they jsut stay them asme?

Could I just all of a sudden out of the blue have a rupture because of the strain of doing nothing more than everyday things or would it take more than that?

Basically what I'm saying is, will the acl degenerate even if I'm careful with it like my cartliage will and is doing?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Can ligaments wear out?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
Come on guys, can't somebody tell me?
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »
I don't think anyone's answered yet because it's a very grey area.

In theory, no, everyday activities - particularly ones you've been told are safe - shouldn't be enough to damage the ACL. However, it sounds as though both your ACLs are slightly compromised, and it would be very hard to tell how much strain it would take to cause further damage. Even being very careful it's unlikely that you would be able to completely avoid putting any lateral pressure through the knee for the rest of your life, and this is the pressure that puts direct strain on the ACL. If that strain were directly on the spot where the tear is, it might be enough to cause a little more damage or it might not - I doubt even a doctor could give you a clear answer on this.

I do know that I had a partial ACL tear in my left knee four years ago that left me with laxity on that side, and that knee never felt right afterwards. It hurt more than the other one, and it was harder for me to build muscle on that side because I tended to favour it. All of which culminated in the ACL eventually giving way in a very tame fall that really shouldn't have caused that much damage. It sounds dramatic because I crashed trying to land a ski jump, but the reality was that I just fell over backward on my skis - the pressure it put through my knees was no worse than slipping and falling backwards with your knees bent on any surface, and didn't have any of the characteristics that normally cause an ACL tear while skiing (twisting fall, ski binding not releasing and the ski yanking the leg around, etc.) I fell straight back, so the exact same pressure went through my good knee as well. Didn't get a twinge off that one, whereas in the bad knee the compromised ACL gave way completely.

I don't know if the ACl suffered any further damage in the four years I walked around with it partially torn, but in the end it fell victim to something that an intact ACL would have handled just fine.

A ligament won't wear out for no reason, but it can suffer damage through what seem like relatively innocuous events. Your ligaments aren't 100%, which does put you at higher risk of this. It's really up to you whether you limit your activities to try and protect them, or carry on living your life but run the risk of more serious damage. Having taken the latter option and had to deal with the consequences (total rupture and surgery), I still don't regret my decision - I'm sure I was living on borrowed time with it after it was damaged and sooner or later I'd have ended up having to get a reconstruction anyway. That said, I don't have much of a sense of personal risk so I may not be a very good example of a smart choice. ;)
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
You say it never felt the same.  Did it feel awkward and combersome when you were steppign sideways or moving around in a small sapce but generally ok walking on the street.  Its this that drives me crazy.

Offline bd1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:16 PM »
When I initially damaged my acl way back in 98,
30% tear if I remember rightly, after 3 months of physio I went back to playing sports(none contact, I was told not to). Every now & again my knee I would be walking along & my knee would suddenly feel like it wasn't mine!! If that makes sense.
I found my knee(braced) was ok while playing sports, but some normal day to day activities affectf me.
My damaged acl lasted about 14 months before snapping completely, taking  my mcl with it.
That was all down to just twisting funny stepping down the stairs & my knee just gave out.
You could be lucky & nothing ever happen again, but with partial tears your more prone to injury.
1999 acl mcl recon'
05 knee dilocation acl mcl lcl pcl recon's 80% lateral meniscus removal
06 plc recon' lcl tighened up
Chronic lcl problems(ongoing)
reinjured dec10 mcl grade 2
hamstring tear

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
It's hard to describe exactly how it felt - sort of weak in certain scenarios is probably the best way to describe it, and a bit slower to respond than the other leg. As you say, fine walking down the street and during most activities, but when doing things where I needed it to respond quickly it just wasn't quite as responsive as the other leg.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »
Its like your making acup of tea and youw alk over to the kettle, then you turn to take  cup out of the cupboard and you sort of have to tell your knees how to take a little step and lean because it doesn't seem to be automatic.  There's no pain with tsi but you can't do it without feeling your shuffling funny even though other people say you look like your moving normal.