Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee diagnosis ? need OPPINIONS!  (Read 1231 times)

Offline GuarnStar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee diagnosis ? need OPPINIONS!
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:36 AM »
Ok to make a long story short, i play football and tore my knee.... the MRI diagnosed me as having a partial mcl , and full acl tear! i went to go see two of the best orthopedic surgeons in my area and both said i could still play sports on a torn acl because my surrounding muscles were strong enough to compensate, so i played 2-3 full season both soccer and football without any problems at all .. 6 months ago i was playing basketball and landed softly and heard a pop, my knee was swollen in the same knee as my torn acl and i couldnt walk for a good 2 weeks . when the swelling went away i was able to cut and go full speed no problem, but landing on it to many times makes my knee sore although there is no visible swelling, and i heard a small popping sound once in a while with no pain at all .. im just very confused to what that big pop and large swelling could of been from since my acl has already been torn in that knee......i can function fine on it , no visible swelling, just soreness and small popping . ????

Offline kerrylaser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee diagnosis ? need OPPINIONS!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:40:51 AM »
hey there.. I dont have any answers to your questions.. But thought id say hello.. im new here.
I was playing soccer and tore my ACL.. same thing as you said heard a popping noise and went down.. had to be carried off the field. My MRI was confirmed that I have a completly tore ACL. and my surgeon wants to do surgery. however my problem is i have no ROM ( range of motion) so ive been working hard trying to get that back in my knee before surgery.
anyways I wonder if you did tore your ACL Completly now? sounds like it??

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:43:32 AM »
I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like you've done some additional damage to the knee - possibly a meniscus tear given the symptoms you describe? The fact that you're still experiencing pain when landing on the knee even though the swelling's gone suggests that something else has happened in there, and severe initial swelling is always a strong indicator of trauma. This is the risk of trying to live without an ACL - regardless of how well the muscles compensate, there's a degree of lateral stability that's missing once you no longer have an ACL to hold the joint in place.

I'd say you need to get checked out by a doc and probably get another MRI. The fact that you have ongoing pain indicates that something's not right. Only a proper diagnosis and possibly scans are going to be able to tell you exactly what's happened.

For the long term, keep in mind that even with strong muscles you're at increased risk of other damage when you don't have an ACL. I had a great recovery from my ACL rupture - I was back cycling long distances a month after the injury, and skiing without problems at two months later - but still opted for reconstruction because I didn't want to end up in the position of falling again and damaging other structures in the knee due to my ACL deficiency.

Best of luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline GuarnStar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
Hey Kerry nice to meet you, Yes i had a full acl tear in my right knee. I went to go get checked out by two surgeons and both said that the surgery was not needed and that i would be able to function without surgery because the surrounding muscles were strong enough.

Hey snowy i did want to opt for surgery but both doctors recommended that i should go the non-surgical route because  i was able to do both sports fine no problem. I did run into another pop 6 months ago and immediate swelling so it defenitly means something went wrong but i am able to stop, cut, jump n land no problem without anything giving out. The only thing i have is the occasional ache when i land on it from jumping repeatedly and this only started once the weather changed, in the summer i was fine. If it was a meniscus injury id feel some sort of locking or catching of the knee right .? and i would have to go the surgical route?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:08:02 PM by GuarnStar »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:54:26 PM »
If it was a meniscus injury id feel some sort of locking or catching of the knee right .?

Probably, but not definitely. This is why I'd recommend getting checked out more thoroughly - pain is a sign that something's not right, but without getting an expert assessment it's very hard to say exactly what. You might have a more serious injury, or it might just be bone bruising that will clear up over time. Given that you're ACL deficient, you are at risk of further damage so I wouldn't just let it ride - I'd get a doctor to check you over.

I also had no problem at all with sports (I'd been skiing a ton before my injury, so my leg muscles were in great shape) but it was the risk of further damage in a fall or other injury scenario that persuaded me to go the surgical route, as well as the long-term risk of arthritis. Your knee joint will never be as protected against twisting injuries without an ACL, regardless of how strong your muscles are. Surgery is not an easy route either, and the recovery is a real slog - but it might be worth doing a bit of reading up on the long-term risks of ACL deficiency, especially if you're having problems and pain.

Offline GuarnStar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »
Yeh I've been feeling really fine doing all sorts of tuff movements for over 6 months now, so i figured id let it go until some sort of locking or catching mechanism occured then id definately get it checked out. The aching only started 1-2 months ago , could it be the cold weather or my meniscus (if that is ultimately the problem) getting worse? .. it's not even a sharp pain, or any kind of pain for that matter more like a dull aching ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:20:10 PM by GuarnStar »

Offline GuarnStar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 06:50:30 AM »
Should i continue to play on it ? or should i sit and west until i get an MRI?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:52:24 AM »
That's really a decision that only you can make. If I were in your shoes I think I would hold off on the activities that cause the soreness until the MRI. The general aching doesn't sound too bad but the pop and swelling are a bit more of a red flag. However I'm probably erring on the side of caution given that I've had a lot of time to think about the consequences of living without an ACL...

A happy medium might be to get an ACL brace and continue with activities - braces are by no means a failsafe, but something like an Ossur CTi will provide significant protection against the kinds of movements that would cause more damage.

Offline GuarnStar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:35:22 AM »
Thanks again snowy, yeh ive never had swelling just aching from repeated activity, as far as the popping goes its small painful pops once in a while nothing to major. But like you stated before that initial landing with the pop and the swelling could definately mean something went wrong .

i found this searching through the site.

I have been doing alot of research lately and have found alot of evidence that leaving a tear alone that is not causing extreme pain and mechnical problems like locked knee are better left alone. What I have found is that if you have had meniscus surgery total or partial you are going to get osteoarthritis. I also read that many surgeries amount to a total removal functionally anyhow. The meniscus will continue to function even with tears as long as the perifery is intact and it can still withstand hoop stresses along the outside edge. If you have a locked knee or some sort of grinding then surgery is your only option. Short term pain relief (monetary gain) is the main benefit of these surgeries at the expense of long term knee health. Here is a link where I did alot of research.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

Perry

Offline GuarnStar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
So without swelling and locking or catching but with the occasional stiffness im thinking i most likely got a Grade 11 - medium tear of the meniscus . is it possible for it to get severe?  or shouldnt have alrdy got severe with 5-6 months of activity on it .?

support