Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New here! need some help with my ACL tear!  (Read 903 times)

Offline kerrylaser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New here! need some help with my ACL tear!
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:59:04 AM »
Hi everyone.. I am new here.. A 27 year old female... Was playing soccer in Sept... Knee went the wrong way And down i went. anyways.. long story short.. MRI says I have tore my ACL. Since the injury my knee has swelled ALOT and is VERY stiff. I have been working really hard at getting my ROM ( range of motion )  back in my knee. Its been 3 months.. and had another visit with the surgeon today.. NOPE he says.. not good enough yet.. so now i have to see him again in 6 weeks..
What can I do to get my ROM back so I can have surgery? he suggested the JAS splints. has anyone used these?? What do you think?? do they hurt???
Also do you think the surgeon is right? do you think I need full ROM before surgery? or should I look for another surgeon? he says if he does it now I will be like this the rest of my life.
anyways I am in alot of pain... and this is really tough..
any help would be great!
Also tell me about your recovery after surgery??
Thanks!
Kerry!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: New here! need some help with my ACL tear!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your injury and the frustrating situation you now find yourself in. :(

Unfortunately, your surgeon is absolutely right - if you go into the surgery without full range of motion, you will likely not ever get it back. That's why they typically make you wait for ACL surgery until you have full flex and extension.

My question would be whether there's anything blocking your ROM, in which case all the PT and splints in the world won't help you get it back. Sometimes the stump of the torn ACL can get caught in the joint, which essentially locks the knee and stops it bending beyond a certain point. A torn meniscus can have a similar effect. I would ask your OS about whether he thinks this is a possibility. If it is, it may mean two surgeries - one to remove whatever is blocking the joint, and then another one to give you a new ACL. I know a few people here who have had this happen, so it's not unusual.

If nothing is blocking the joint, a good physiotherapist is your best friend. I've had a really tough time getting full flex back after surgery (didn't have a problem after injury) and my PT has helped me with an uncomfortable but effective forced flexion program. This isn't something I'd attempt without guidance, however.

Other than the ROM problems, my recovery from surgery has been good. I was off the crutches in five days, regained strength fairly quickly, and am on track to return to full activity in mid-March 2011. It's a very slow process and requires a *lot* of patience, but things are heading in the right direction. I'd read up about it (there are some great threads on the post-op diary section of the boards from all stages of recovery) to prepare yourself for the recovery; it is a very long haul and the restrictions are frustrating, especially if you haven't been through anything like it before.

Good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kerrylaser

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New here! need some help with my ACL tear!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:43:57 AM »
hey there! thanks so much for the reply!!
The MRI Shows there is nothing blocking my knee from bending.. And the meniscus in intact... my second visit i made him double check the MRI... he says its just alot of swelling and scar tissue that is stopping it from moving. I am going to get fitted for the splints tommorw and bump up my Physio a bit and hopefully get full ROM in the next 6 weeks.
I keep reading everything on the internet and it keeps saying you must have full ROM before surgery.. So I guess hes right! haha.. just very stressful because this is such a long process.