Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella fracture update  (Read 617 times)

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Patella fracture update
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »
Hi ever-one,
                     I fractured my patella back in March,had the usual op with the 2 pins and figure of 8 wiring.
I had a full cast, ankle to thigh, for almost 8 weeks, and was non-weight bearing throughout,after the cast was removed, i was allowed to do foot pumps only, but was non-weight bearing for a further 2 weeks.
After this i started physio sessions, starting with ROM of only 20 degrees.
I worked very hard with the home programme, and after only 5 physio appointments, i had regained full ROM,and my physiotherapist said i was ok,and released me.

I was far from ok,i had full ROM, but that was about all i did have, my leg strength was crap,as was my VMO,and a few other problems.
Since then i have done my own research on the internet,found lots of different exercises,and worked very very hard.
Now, at 8 1/2 months post-op, i can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel,i have gained most of my leg strength, can walk almost normally, and go up and down stairs relatively easy and painfree.
It has not been an easy journey by far, but i am so thank-ful as to how far that i have come.
I have still got one or two minor issues, which i am sure are HW related,so hopefully these will disappear once that is removed.
Thought i would post my success, in the hope of giving some encouragement to others, and to know that it's not all doom and gloom,i am not young, and i am also a smoker, so if i can do this so can you.
The next hurdle is the HW removal, but i am led to believe that this op is nothing like the 1st,as not much ROM is lost, or muscle loss, and recovery time being only a couple of weeks.
I thank every-one on the KG site for their advice and support, and i hope i can now help others in the same way.
                  Good luck to all in your own recoveries.
                                 Regards.
                                            Coral
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 10:15:09 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed