Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Longevity of the transplant?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Longevity of the transplant?
« on: July 07, 2009, 02:32:01 AM »
Hey all,
Just had a scope done and my os wants to try an OATS procedure after a ACI failure.  I am trying to do some research before I commit to it.  I am a police officer and in order for me to return to work I have to be back to full active duty which includes running, jumping, kneeling and anything else that may come up that I have to deal with.  I was also wondering if anyone knew what the longevity of the transplant was?  Is it a lifetime repair or is it more like 10-20 years?  Thanks for any input.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline emelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Longevity of the transplant?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 03:24:52 AM »
I recently had an OATS done on my lateral femoral condyle.  My OS says that "theoretically" it should last a lifetime, but also recommended no more running for me if I want it to last as long as possible. He says he has patients who defy that advice (one of his patients ran a marathon post-OATS), but they are upping the risk.  The surgery has not been studied long term, from what I know, so how long it really lasts is unknown.  My thoughts are that it seems like the recipient site should last if taken care of - afterall the plug(s) put in are the same as what nature gave you (hyaline cartilage and bone).  But I'm concerned about the donor site, which no longer has cartilage and seems vulnerable to future degeneration.  Allograft from a cadaver is better in this regard...

Offline emelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:26:15 AM »
Forgot to mention that I have seen studies showing that OATS knees were still good after 10 years.  But haven't seen anything longer than that.

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
Thanks emelle I go see my OS today and Im going to ask him about the OATS and also talk to him about a possible partial knee replacement and see what he recommends.  Thanks you again.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »
 I had the procedure on May 15, 2009. prior to an injury in 2007 I have not had any knee problems. I thought hard and long before doing this. At one point the O/S mentioned partial knee replacement as possible option. I say a second O/S for another opnion. He said without a second thought he would recemond the oats.  (and my O/S )I was way to young (45) for a TKR or partial. When I saw the O/S a week before the surgery I asked why oats over partial. He said he was confident the oats was best.  The Oats would keep me from needing ANY knee surgery in the future if oats sucessful. The partial knee is only to hold me over till I was old enuff to have a full replacement 8 to 10 years. Then 10 to 12 years on each TKR if I limit impact activity on the knees. I drive semi for a living that is not low impact. I think that the most important thing is to trust your O/S. I do so that is why I followed his advice. My hope is that he is correct. The surgery is not diffacult but the recovery is. There is a long non weight bearing time along with P/T. I hope this helps,

Offline Redlegger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:05:02 PM »
The Tennessee Titans OS performed an OATS procedure on my knee in 2000. I had two plugs right on the weight bearing area of the Femur. At the time I was 42, and he told me I would be able to resume running and other weight-bearing activities if successful. After about 9 months of NSAIDS post-op the pain finally dis-apated. Several of my OS pals and the the referring surgeon told me I'd be crazy to resume any weight bearing activities like running and basketball. So I heeded that advice. I used to run marathons.

I have been relatively pain free for the past 10 years but have had trouble staying in shape. I have been working out at Crossfit recently, and they do lots of lifts and presses with the theory of proper procedure (Putting weight on heels during lifts) puts your knees at no risk. My OS buddies still say no, the crossfit trainers argue that point. Anyone have any experience with this activity.

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »
To what extent have you had trouble staying in shape? added 10 15 lbs. Or gained 50 lbs? Prior to my OATS I gained some weight due to not doing as much due to pain. Since surgery and being moblie again I have lost all added weight. I however have not been pain free since surgery. I have some degree of pain/discomfort on a daily basis. I have no info on the crossfit deal but if the past 10 years pain free have any value I would stick with the OS advise. I would rather not hear I told you so. GOOD LUCK

support