Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Articular Cartiadge damage  (Read 1140 times)

Offline heyheyhey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Articular Cartiadge damage
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »
Hey

I had Arthroscopy on my right knee 7 weeks ago- they found a 4mmX4mm hole in my Articular Cartiladge.
Its Behind the knee cap in the joint area. THey cleaned it up and thats it - No MFracture.
Fast forward 7 weeks i dont have the catching i did have or the hot cold sensation i did have- but i felt
a loose piece of something under my knee last week beside my Medial ligament. It was floating about
i havent felt it since but if i try run / walk i can get sharp pains in different areas- its like the piece is moving about.
Any one have any experience of this!!? Please help me- desperate for answers!!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Articular Cartiadge damage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »
Head back to your OS or find another.  There is something going on there.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
I had the same kind of surgery in Aug. but my defect was on the medial femoral condyle. I also had my knee cap cleaned a bit. I would say at first I was a bit better with very little catching and locking, now I am no better at all, maybe worse. I have lots of pain in the back of my knee and around the sides of my knee cap with lots of catching and locking. I have seen another os and he gave me a cortizone shot and changed my PT a little. Didn't help has made things worse. I see him again in Jan, hw said he would scope again if I am not better, I can tell you I will not be better by then either. If you have something floating around in there it will not go away by itself and anytime you damage the articular cartilage you run the risk of never getting better, because it never regenerates itself. You should see the os who did your surgery again, unless you truely just don't like him. (the reason I am seeing a new one) I am curious though, are you actually able to run on your knee now? I ask because it just tells me how bad off I am still because I can barely stand more less run. Good Luck!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »
I have several little blobs around my knees and I don't know what the hell they are, thoug I often think they could be lymph glands and no they are not gout  If you could feel cartliage through the skin then you would be in unbearable agony.  I once asked this question to a pt and she said that a peiece that breaks off under the kneecap cannot work its way to jsut udner the skin.  Some people can feel plica under the skin though and scar tissue.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:12:18 PM »
You coudl ask for an ultrasound scan.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline heyheyhey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »
I can run - but not the was i used to run. i was fairly fast for a 5'9'' white guy- ha ha
I'm only 27 and my knee is causing me a huge amount of bother. havent felt the piece
under my skin in over a week. i find standing is the hardest and the constant "minding" of the knee.
i have two lums where the incisions where- this cant be helping me at all- and knee
knee becomes inflames very easily- walking for a while or standing- ice is a god send
as within a few minutes it feels fine. I think there are people way worse than me in pain wise
my main problem is my knee cant function the way it used to. Doctor told me to go  to playing football
as this will speed up the wearing down of the cartiladge and my knee will create a grove to suit itsself-
he says thats why i'm going through pain- and in a few months i'll be fine.

God its very hard to accept this.

i do wonder if i was a pro athlete would i still be going through this pain or if you had
the money would it all be sorted?

and on changing my surgeon?? h ah here in ireland we dont get that choice!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:33:18 PM by heyheyhey »

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:38:23 AM »
"Doctor told me to go  to playing football
as this will speed up the wearing down of the cartiladge and my knee will create a grove to suit itsself-
he says thats why i'm going through pain- and in a few months i'll be fine."

OMG.  :o  I'd be limping away to find a different doctor personally. Wearing down your cartilage to create a groove has never been recommended to me with my patella/trochlear groove defects!!

7 weeks post scope isn't *that* long although it feels like a lifetime. Its normal to have swelling, pain, lumps where the instruments went for a while. Gradually you should see progress. The fact that ice resolves things indicates you still have swelling post op, and that should resolve. Keep icing, keep elevating. Do you have a PT program to follow or have you just been left to get on with it? If you still get sharp pains on running I'd be tempted to get things checked out - you may have a loose body that is catching - something disturbed in surgery.

Good luck

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 08:14:12 AM »
Doctor told me to go  to playing football as this will speed up the wearing down of the cartiladge and my knee will create a grove to suit itsself- he says thats why i'm going through pain- and in a few months i'll be fine.

My response to this is the same as Lottie's - horror! I cannot imagine any doctor every advocating anything that would increase cartilage wear. The goal of most treatments is to decrease pressure and subsequent wear and tear on cartilage!

Other than that, I'd just echo Lottie's comments - discomfort at this stage is completely normal, but sharp pains are an indication that you should go back to your OS and get things checked out.

Since I joined this site, I've often heard knee surgery described as "a marathon rather than a sprint" and it's so true - at 5 months after my own surgery I am so, so impatient to get back to normal, and I've come on in leaps and bounds (not literally, I hasten to add) since the immediate post-surgical period, but I'm still a long ways off feeling normal and I know I need to keep patient and keep plugging away in order to get there. It's probably one of the most frustrating things many of us have experienced up to know, and it's awfully tough to adjust to the slow timeframe.

I'd say keep an eye on the knee, don't fret too much about swelling at this stage, and get things checked out if the sharp pains continue. And good luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA