Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: SynVisc  (Read 1280 times)

Offline BigDaddyNJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
SynVisc
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has had SynVisc (Hylan G - F 20) injections? My Dr. has slated me to have three injections through a three week process.  Do they help with Knee pain? Is it painful getting these injections? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

cdubb

Re: SynVisc
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:52:32 PM »
I didn't have Synvisc, but I had Supartz. Similar product, but Supartz is administered in 5 injections each a week apart.  My Dr. said that there is a lower adverse rate with Supartz than Synvisc.  It's probably a Dr.'s preference and experience driving which product they prefer.   I personally did not feel that the injection hurt, but others have said they did.  I had 4 of 5 injected by the same ortho and he took the same approach to the knee, lateral side of the patella and he didn't use any numbing/cold spray or numbing injection and it was just fine.  I wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable at all.  I had 1 injection administered by one of his associates and he used some cold spray and also injected some numbing medicine first and injected in through the front of the knee and that one, even with all the production he put on with cold spray and a numbing injection first, was slightly uncomfortable.  So, I would say that it really depends on whoever is administering the injection if it is uncomfortable. 

As for it working...I personally did not get any benefit from it.

Offline BigDaddyNJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
Thanks CD your info was very helpful   

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
Any idea exactly how many cc's is the normal injection volume for this stuff? My GP is sending me to an ortho (3rd knee injury was 2 months ago) and she mentioned the Synvisc might be suggested by the ortho. I have "amazing" drug allergies and wonder if I can request a low volume injection if the ortho wants to go that route. (Hoping to minimize bad rxn if it happens)
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »
If you have allergies be careful with Synvisc etc - it contains rooster comb derivatives so for me, who doesn't tolerate egg products well, it was a no go. I had a Euflexxa shot - that has no rooster type stuff in it. I found it has helped, and I had the 3 shots in one go as my OS prefers to deliver it that way. he numbed the knee first. All was fine.  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »
Thanks Lottiefox for the info. I'm "data collecting" so I can weigh my options better next month. No egg problems here. But the "numbing stuff"---I'm anaphylactically allergic to all but 2 local anesthetics. And those 2 don't work very well on me. Sigh.
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline CrazyHorseLady

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 06:56:32 PM »
I tired these injections and sadly they did not work for me. Now my mom also had the injections (I want to say that she did not get the 3 injections but just got the 1 dose) and it worked GREAT for her.
Yes I am the Crazy Horse Lady and I am proudly owned by 6 horses!!!

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »
I have heard they work great for some and not for others and they are painful for some and not for others. I had the Synvisc One and it was painful getting it but not so bad I couldn't stand it. But, it didn't work at all, in fact I was swollen for about a week and in much more pain. I had a cortizone shot recently that was the same experience. I am not to hip on ever getting another shot in my knee of any kind.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12