Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ankle pain after surgery  (Read 613 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
ankle pain after surgery
« on: December 10, 2010, 07:12:19 PM »
I had a PCL reconstruction about 2.5 weeks ago, and the last few days, I have had really bad ankle pain. It feels like a really bad ankle sprain, although I didn't fall or do anything to it, I've been non weight bearing the whole time. It's somewhat better when I have it elevated, but as soon as I get out of bed, it's severe pain. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

cdubb

Re: ankle pain after surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »
Soozles,
I had terrible ankle pain after my Nov. 3 patella ACI with tibial tuburcle ostetomy. It hurt initially, but just like a sprain. Then at about 10 days post op, it became extremely painful and it would burn and keep me up at night.  My Dr.'s PA's advised that it was common (about 1 in 3 ostetomy patients) and that it was likely inflammation of the periosteum from blood tracking down the lining of the bone.  Now, I had an ostetomy and you had a PCL reconstruction, but gravity works the same on everyone and blood and swelling goes down to the ankle when your upright.  It took until about 3 1/2 weeks before the severe pain went away and now at 5 weeks out, it's mildly stiff.  They did have me taking 800 mg ibuprofen 3 x's day though for the inflammation.  I also used some TED hose and the pressure helped. It hurt to get on, but once on and the pain from getting on subsided, they seemed to help. 

Hope it starts to subside soon.  When you are allowed to put weight down, it should also help because it will help stretch the achilles that gets tight.