Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: scar tissue  (Read 1942 times)

Offline mictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
scar tissue
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:03:36 AM »
Hello I am 4 weeks post op from my second athroscopy of my left knee My surgery was arthroscopy with shaving of lateral and medial meniscus,synovectomy,chondroplasty in three places,removal of plica and removal of hypertrophic scar tissue i have grade 4 chondromalacia of te patella and othe grade 2-3 changes elsewhere. I have been going to therapy for just 2 weeks now i have a large amt of scar tissue under the incisons but also around them they are still very sore and prevent me from good range of motion ! has anyone had this problem and how long did it take to break up the tissue ??  Thank you for any help !
2000 Left and rt knee arthroscopies, chondroplasty chondromalacia & chondyle defect
3/17/2010 rt knee arthroscopy  chondroplasty, synovectomy
11/3/2010 lt knee arthroscopy,chondroplasty 3 sites,pica and scar tissue removed,lateral&medail meniscus tears,synovectomy grae 4 chondromalacia patela

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: scar tissue
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »
At four weeks I still had a lot of scar tissue aropund the incisions.  I was told that even when my knee felt alright I still might have some left  Even now I get some small pain and soreness right where the incisions are.  For the most part they can hardly be seen but when they are sore they show up red.  I remember someone saying on this forum that what you have at 12 weeks is pretty much what you are stuck with but mine did improve after that time, they would just flare a little.  At four weeks though it was still very sore but it was mostly  OK with the occaisional soreness by 12-15 weeks.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
I am 6 months post my surgery and have just been diagnosed with Arthrofibrosis. Scar tissue is causing me serious pain, swelling, heat and lack of ROM. I would suggest speaking to your Physio and OS as if you can deal with the problem now it will save you from serious complications in the long run.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline mictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »
OUCH That doesn't sound too good ! I am also a nurse and i am kind of worried about the scar tissue beneath i tend to develop scar tissue anyway i had to have  scar tissue removed from my diaphragm after abdominal surgery  and had othr scar issues in the past ! My therapist hav been massaging the tissue which i hae it really hurts plus they manipulate my patella !! I see my OS next week i am sure he will check it out he is great !! Have you had problems with range of motion ! I still can't even ride the exercise bike yet !! i did have alot done so i guess maybe part of this is due to that but just feeling that tisue is worrisome ! Thanks for your reply best of luck to you !
2000 Left and rt knee arthroscopies, chondroplasty chondromalacia & chondyle defect
11/3/2010 lt knee arthroscopy,chondroplasty 3 sites,pica and scar tissue removed,lateral&medail meniscus tears,synovectomy grae 4 chondromalacia patela

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
If you look in the Rehab department there is a section called 'Soft tissue healing problems - Arthrofibrosis'. There is lots of info in there and people with alot more knowledge than me that will be able to offer you advice. As a guess, the fact that you have previously had problems with scar tissue may put you at risk from Arthrofibrosis but I am not an expert by any means.

I have alot of problems with range of motion. I walk with my leg flexed at about 15 degrees as I cannot straighten it properly and am also missing about 60 degreees of flexion.

Worth getting it checked out, perhaps if I had had a better OS I would not been in this state now  :(
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 04:54:05 PM »
Your signiture mentions steroid injects.  Was it corisone and did it work?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline mictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 08:42:55 PM »
Thank you for the additional info on scar tissue ! I go to pt again tomorrow i know the last time they did measurements with me on my stomach bringing my knee to my buttock wiith the help of the other foot my number is in the 70 s ! I can straighten my leg but it doesn't like to stay that way it gets painful and then when i move it it creates even more pain ! On ther medial part of my knee i havee an area about thr size of i guess a plum that is still pretty hard and very tender then i have like a chain of lumpiness that moves away from the incision ! anxious to see Doc nest week hope it is going to just be broken up !

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
Yes, I had cortisone and anaesthetic injected about 2 weeks ago. The anaesthetic worked for that day but wore off by the next day and I have seen no improvement since so sadly it hasn't worked. I am concentrating purely on ROM with my Physio but am finding it impossible to make any progress and still have heat and swelling every night. An seeing the OS again in January to see what the next stages are.

If you're considering the injection I would say it's worth a go, the afternoon of no pain made it worth it for me! Shame it didn't last though  :(
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
Sasha, I'm just curious, how exactly were you diagnosed with scar tissue (mri, physical exam, etc)?
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »
I was actually quite lucky in that my third OS diagnosed arthrofibrosis. Some people have seen 10+ to get a diagnosis. 

After doing some research on here I found that I had all the symptoms of AF. My OS at the time completely fobbed me off but I am lucky to have a great Physio who referred me to OS number 3. My diagnosis was based mostly on my history and symptoms. I had a Hoffa pad removal which commonly results in AF and had lost alot of ROM along with increased heat, pain and swelling. My MRI did not show any scar tissue but I had an ultrasound with my steroid injection which did show it. My incisions are also very hard and tight and the skin goes very pale when I try to bend my knee. 
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 05:16:47 PM »
Mictim,
You should definately check out the section on Soft TIssue Healing "Athrofibrosis" AF for short on this board. There is a lot of information. There is also a tutorial from Dr. Noyes regarding AF.
I also have AF. It took awhile for me to be properly diagnosed. The key is getting someone who is knowledgable about AF to treat your condition- Physican and PT.

Jill
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

support