Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: medial and lateral meniscus transplant  (Read 5030 times)

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
medial and lateral meniscus transplant
« on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »

I am having both the medial and lateral meniscus replaced in a couple weeks, at the same time.  Has anyone out there
ever had both sides of the knee done at the same time? Curious about the recovery-how long were you on crutches, did you need a brace, and how does it feel now???

- this surgery comes after I had OATS surgery in Feb. I am basically having my knee replaced with cadaver parts...

Thanks for any info!

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
Re: medial and lateral meniscus transplant
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 05:47:28 PM »
Blometti,
I had a lateral meniscus transplant and osteotomy at the same time. I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks and had to wear a brace for almost 12 weeks.
Unfornately I developed a lot of scar tissue and needed multiple surgeries post-op. Overall the graft did well it was the other complications that hindered me.
Wishing you success in your upcoming surgery.
Jill
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

Offline cliffoa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:22 PM »
Hi Jill

Hope you don't mind me asking, but when did you have your meniscal graft, and if you are  having a TKR in january, how/why did the graft fail so soon?

I had a meniscal allograft myself in October, on the medial side, rehab has been painfully slow. Did you post on  here about the rehab after your allograft? If so could you send me a link as I couldn't find it, I'm fairly new on the site, so just finding my way. 

Progress on my own allograft is in the following link, but don't feel obliged to read, as it's a bit long-winded. http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=54248.msg530303#msg530303

All the best for your TKR anyhow. 

Best

Archie
1974 ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear. Partial menisectomy.
1974-1999 No ACL - 25 years.
2000 ACL graft.
2006-07 2 x Damaged articular cartilage = 2 x arthroscopic debridements.
2010 Meniscal allograft from frozen donor graft.
2012 Failed allograft removed.

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:15 AM »
I had a medial and lateral meniscus transplant with ACL revision done in 2001. I can tell you that it was the most painfull surgery and recovery I have ever had. I have had a total of 17 surgeries, most recently a TKR 6 weeks ago. My meniscus transplants was surgery # 4. I was non waeight bearing for 3 months, in a brace and was allowed limited motion for months. I had complications with scar tissue after which required more surgery.

All of that said, I would do it again. it took me about 1 year to get back to normal, but it prolonged my TKR for almost 10 years.

Let me know if you have any more questions. The recovery and rehab may have changed now since it has been so long since I had mine done.

Melanie
I found this off om the surgeon who did my meniscal transplants so it looks like the rehab ans weight beaing has changed sinced I had mine.
Q: What is my weight bearing status?  Full weight bearing

Q: How long will I be on crutches? You will not need crutches

Q: What Rehab protocol will I use and when will it start? 
Protocol A, starting after 1 week post op

Q: What brace will I wear and how long do I have to wear it?
TROM Locked in extension for 3 weeks, then 0-90 for 3 weeks, then full

Q: When can I drive? 3 weeks post op, you cannot be under the influence of any narcotic medications

Q: When will I see Dr. Paulos again after my surgery? 7-10 days after surgery.

Q: When can I return to work?  Please check with Dr. Paulos at your post op appointment.  Please be aware if you have any paperwork that needs to be filled out regarding disability or insurance that there will be a $25 fee and expect a 24-48 hour turn around.
this is a link to his rehab protocal.
http://www.lonniepaulosmd.com/content/microsoft%20word%20-%20knee_group_a.pdf
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:33:20 PM by pegleg78 »
99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
Thanks for the response
I went in thinking I was going to have both medial and lateral meniscus transplants. But when I woke up, I only had the lateral side done. There was to much damage on the medial, so they want to see how the lateral side works before they do the medial...
So far this is not bad at all. I had OATS allograft this past spring, and this is a piece of cake compared to that one!! There are 6 holes from the scopes and what not, and 1 cut about 2 inches long on the outside of my knee. I am non weight bearing for approx 8 weeks, and locked in a brace for the same amount of time.  For now the brace is locked at 0 degrees, and can be opened up to 90 for exercise at home. When I am at therapy I can take the brace off, but not move it past 90.
Driving- I am lucky that this was my left leg, so I was able to about a week post op- as long as I have not taken any meds. It is however a pain getting in and out of the car!
Thanks again!

Offline Jill M

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
Archie,
I did not post my recovery from my meniscus transplant on this site. I just found this site last year. My graft itself didn't reallly fail. I do have some breakdown in my osteochondral graft that was performed. My meniscus graft is well healed and in good position. I instead suffer from athrofibrosis (severe scar tissue) and an extension deficit of 15 degrees. I cannot straighten my leg. I was evaluated to have a posterior release operation by the surgeons that I saw were not optimistic that they would be able to acheive success with that operation. I had an MRI and I still have tricompartmental athrititis despite the grafts ( I had grade 4 lesions going into my surgery) so it was recommend that I have a TKR.
The meniscus transplant took away that awful bone on bone pain that I was experiencing prior to my surgery but unfornately I have traded that for other complications.

Jill
8/07 Right subtotal meniscectomy
4/08 Chronic meniscus tear, grade 4 changes
10/08- R distal femoral osteotomy, lateral meniscal transplant, tibia microfracture, osteochondral allograft femur
12/08- AF noted, LOA
2/09- MUA
8/09- extensive LOA, patella baja
1/20/11- TKR

Offline cliffoa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:57 PM »
Sorry to hear about the complications Jill.  I wish you well with any treatments you have in the future. I'm guessing a lot of us on here will end up with a PKR or TRK eventually.
1974 ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear. Partial menisectomy.
1974-1999 No ACL - 25 years.
2000 ACL graft.
2006-07 2 x Damaged articular cartilage = 2 x arthroscopic debridements.
2010 Meniscal allograft from frozen donor graft.
2012 Failed allograft removed.

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 07:23:46 PM »
I had a medial MT in Dec. 2007.  I've pretty much returned to sports, but I've given up a few (basketball for example).  I'm not sure my recovery is typical, but I realize I will probably need another one in 7 more years, and at some point a TKR. 

I've recently returned to running (at least for the short term) as I train for a triathlon, but this is probably my last running experience.  My knee also has some knee cap issues, and I think they are getting worse.  Overall, I'm really happy with my MT.  PM me if you have any questions.

AC

support