Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PKR recovery: Is this normal?  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Lilmagic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PKR recovery: Is this normal?
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:41 AM »
I had a left medial PKR six months ago. Generally I am happy with the result although I'm far from being pain free. I have extensive OA and was warned that I might still have a degree of pain if I had PKR rather than TKR. I'm finding the joint is frequently uncomfortable and doesn't feel as if it belongs to me, if that makes any sense!

I am much more mobile than I was pre-op and can now walk a fair distance without pain (2-3 miles), but find the joint can only tolerate limited activity such as standing. If I'm on my feet more than 4 hours without a substantial break then I know about it.

I'm now experiencing tenderness in one area close to the scar and an intense 'burning' sensation. I have also had some hypertrophic scarring from the surgery and have been using a silicon patch to help reduce this.

What have others experienced in the first six months? Is this normal or should I be asking my doctor to refer me back to the surgeons?

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer. I am in the UK btw.
Sue

1979 Meniscectomy
1985 Tibial # right leg
1986 Bilateral osteotomy both feet
1995 release of tendons in L wrist
2005 Arthroscopic lavage R knee
2006 R elbow surgery for tennis elbow
2008 Joint resection of L shoulder & de-spurring.
2010 Arthroscopic lavage & debridement L knee
2010 PKR L knee

Offline Carin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: PKR recovery: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »
Hi
I had two partial knee replacements about 8 months ago now...doing really well, I feel. I'm back on my bikes (50K road rides, and some MTbiking), swimming, gyming, gardening, doing yoga...I'm female 53.

You write:

I'm now experiencing tenderness in one area close to the scar and an intense 'burning' sensation. I have also had some hypertrophic scarring from the surgery and have been using a silicon patch to help reduce this.

Has the tenderness gone now? If not, I'd get that looked at if I were you, ring your GP.
Good luck :)

support