Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: After Advice Please ...  (Read 882 times)

Offline Pippa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
After Advice Please ...
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:03:33 PM »
Last week, while playing badminton after I took a winning shot† ;), my knee exploded in pain!† It felt like something snapped/popped on the outer side of my left knee.† The pain was so bad I had to limp off the court and actually nearly fainted.† I snapped my achilles tendon 6 years ago and the pain was much worse than that!!† After about half an hour with an ice pack the pain subsided a bit, but when I walked it was quite intense.† The next day I went to A&E where I had an xray.† There was no break, which I didnít think there would be, but lots of fluid/swelling around the knee area.† I was given a knee brace to wear and have got to go back to the # clinic this week.†

As I am sitting at my desk at work, I donít have any real pain, just discomfort.† When I walk the pain is located mainly on the left hand side, but also across the underneath of my knee and behind it.† Going up and downstairs hurts the most and if I twist or turn quickly I get a sharp pain down the left side.†

Canít anyone tell me what if any injury this sounds like to them?† And what should I be expecting from my appt at the # clinic this week ... and what should I be asking them?†

Any advice would be much appreciated.† Thanks :)

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: After Advice Please ...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 07:47:57 PM »
At a guess (and it is just a guess based on the symptoms you describe - I'm not an expert by any means) the most likely culprit is either a meniscus tear or ligament damage. The area where you're describing the pain sounds like it could be the LCL (lateral collateral ligament).

The most important thing for your appointment is to go in with an open mind (you never know what the experts will find) and a very detailed description of exactly how you injured the knee (the exact movement you were making, whether it twisted, whether you fell heavily on it, etc) and the symptoms you've experienced since. The more information you can give them, the better the chances of an accurate diagnosis.

Good luck! I hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »
i am not a expert, but it sounds like you may have torn your meniscus, or maybe your acl. They may watch it for a couple of weeks, to see if it calms down, but I would ask to have a mri just to see what exactly you did, if it does not get any better!!! Lots of ice!!! †Good Luck
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,† meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,† fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Pippa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
Many thanks for your replies, I know none of you are experts, but you all have personal experience of knee injuries and I appreciate your advice.  I will update the post when I know more.  Fingers crossed it's not too serious!!