Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Lars operation 4 weeks on....... HELP  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Sophiebxx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Lars operation 4 weeks on....... HELP
« on: December 06, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
Hi, Im new too the meassage boards!

I am 17, and i had my acl reconstructed using the LARS technique.

I had my operation 4 weeks ago, i orginally went in to hospital for them to just have a look around insdie the knee with camera's, with the smallest chance of them actually reconstructing the acl!

I then came back into recovery to find that they had used the lars techinque to repair the ligament. There had been some complication with the surgery, meaning that the ligament had reattched it self inside of the femur. as the femur had became damaged because of the lack of damaged cartiledge!

Rehab had been going great until last week! Where one of the wounds had became infected. I now have anti biotics for this!!

But now theres something i am more worried about!

One of the screw that attached the ligament to the bone is now visiable through the skin and bone, is this normal?

It alsomoves quite a bit??

Is this normal?

please help!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACL Lars operation 4 weeks on....... HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
That doesn't sound right to me - a loose screw means that the graft isn't properly secured. I would call your surgeon and schedule an appointment asap to get this looked at.

Best of luck - I hope you're able to get this sorted out quickly.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline martialartist

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »
My screw also began to back out some and there was a a very prominent Frankenstein look to my skin. You could feel it and see it   My surgeon was not at all worried and I ended up having it removed.  I would not worry tremendously, though I would call/go back for a follow up.

Incidentally, I am speaking about the lower screw, on the very upper part of my shin/lower part of my knee. Removing that was not real tricky at all. I also had the upper screw removed and would recommend leaving it in there. Additional surgery can and does mess things up. Learn to live with it. My knee is much worse off after I removed the upper screw. Dont do it....

Offline Sophiebxx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »
Thank you for your comments!
Since my last post, the screw (been confirmed as the screw) has became more visible by the day, and pain is unbarable!
The pain is constantly niggling away..... and every so ofen i have shooting pains within the new ligament coming from the screw. i could only describe the pain as having an electric shock! the range of movement within my knee has decreased also!

I have now been complaining to both physios and my consultant for 4 weeks about this and finally they have decided what to do, it took a lot of pushing!!

I am now booked in to have surgery on the 7th of Janurary, exactly 2 months after my first operation! It would of been sooner but my consultant is on holiday!!

They re not ure what they will be doing until the actually sart the operation, they could be screwing the screw back in, redoning the lars operation or taking a graft from my hamstring!!!