Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What would you do given the choice??  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Pollyana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What would you do given the choice??
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I posted several months ago regarding torn meniscus on either side of my knee and a very unhelpful consultant and took Lottie's advice and found myself a great one!  When I visited the first one I was in pain almost all of the time and was in tears when he was so negative.  A few months down the line and just before my visit to the new one, I noticed that the pain has subsided and bothered me less - I'd even stopped limping and my well being felt improved.  The new consultant suggested arthroscopy and said he would clean it out and get rid of any debris.  He said it would just be day case and I would walk out unaided, and am booked in to have it done on 20th December.  I wouldn't say the pain has gone completely, I feel it to some extent every day but it bothers me more at night, in fact most nights and wakes me up. Its a sharp stinging feeling which will subside after a few minutes when I change position.  Now to all of you out there who have been in agony you may be asking why I'm bothering having it done, in fact that's what I'm asking myself now.  My daughter believes that I've just learned to cope with the level of discomfort that I feel.  My friend has had both knees done and said do I want to wait until I'm in agony all the time and then have to wait for a slot in the consultants calendar.  I still have a swollen knee but I can walk for a coiuple of miles and I would probably feel tired, standing for the same length of time would be painful but not agony.  I can't understand why its not as bad as it was 4 months ago.   I am worried though about comments from people that have had it done and its made things worse - I do wonder if I'm better coping with what I cope with now rather risk further discomfort.  Or I could just be getting pre-op jitters!!   So, the question is what would you do then??
Many thanks from Pollyana (the wuss!). 

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
Re: What would you do given the choice??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »
i can empathise to a point, i posted yest regarding a result after being left to my own devices for nearly 6mths by a previous OS.  My problems have also become more tolerable and i am due to have athroscopy in Jan.  Having read some of the problems/complications people have had once they start having surgery.  My feeling is that i would rather have it done than cancel and then a few months down the line a flare up and then the whole process of getting an appt etc starts again.  Not sure if you are NHS, but if you are, you know the NHS wheels turn very slowly. I too feel when the OS starts poking around will it make it worse< then i think it really cant get any worse.  Dont really think i have helped have I :)
06/10  L knee trauma(horseriding accident) MCL
10/10 MRI ACL/MCL/G4CM/PF
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline Pollyana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
Hi  Miss Beams, I not only use the NHS but I work for them too - no perks though!!i Its just nice to know that there is someone else thinking along the same lines as me.  I'm due to be a new granny - youthful of course - in the spring and I've volunteered for childminding duties one day a week and I don't want to let her down because I should have had an op and didn't.  So that's one step close for me.  :) 

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
what a coincidence, so do i work for the NHS, not orthopaedics! your right, no perks or extra info!  I feel so stupid, when the Con told me what he was going to do, he said the procedure, but i cant remember what it was called!  I think he is going to patch me up!! but must when i am back in work email his sec to find out recooperation times!  I find when you are on the receiving end, the Drs talks so fast, you cant take it all in, i went in with good intentions to ask all the questions on my list! but only had a 15min new appointment slot! 
12.01.2011 scope ACL intact, chronoplasty and 2 x microfractures FMC and trochlear ,MRI over reported(knee not as bad as made out),   time and patience will tell:)

Offline Pollyana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »
I only had a 15 minute slot with my first os that I wasn't happy with - selected through Choose & Book -went back to my GP and he referred me to a named os and my total time firstly with his nurse practitioner and them him was over an hour! A more cynical person may think it was because I complained to my GP......  ;)

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
good for you, wish i had thought of that one!  i must admit, this second chap was a lot more approachable and wasnt dismissive.  I went through A & E for knee trauma originally so not G.P. referral, but then referred on to this one as his interest is multiple issues.  At least the referral triggered a new 18 week pathway! Please let me know who you get on, nice to chat to an NHS staff member! :)

Offline Pollyana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
I wonder if consultants realise that the patient's journey is solely dependent on their attitude - but I doubt it.  Well hopefully, it won't be on a bumpy road in an old banger!!   :) :)  I'll keep in touch and let you know how I get on.

Offline Miss Beams

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
no i dont think they realise how patronising they can be!  Some of them think they are "god"!  However, most of the ones I deal/dealt with are very approachable on a work level, however, being on the other side of the fence these last 6months, i can understand how upset and confused patients get when bombarded with medical terminology!  Some of them send copies of clinic letters to the patient and some also write explaining things, which i think is a lot more helpful and can be digested at a later date!  So anyway good luck in what you decide, how is the weather treating you ::)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
Hello again Polyanna

Glad to see you found a decent consultant who has listened to you. Ah, the dilemma of a scope or not to scope....I resisted my scope that was booked in Feb this year for a chondroplasty of patella, MFX of femur and general washing out of debris. I am really glad I did, my knee has got stronger, I have minimal pain and for the time being I'm avoiding the scope. It really does depend on what you have going on, what the OS proposes to do and how you function in terms of where you WANT to be functioning. If your problem is JUST meniscus and he proposes to tidy those up and wash out debris then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a great result. When scopes start to be a bit more iffy is when they find general wear and tearm and sometimes try and fix things, or remove a plica that perhaps isn't actualy troublesome but the act of removing it aggravates the knee and so on.....the joint takes a long time to settle, so you will have swelling afterwards and of course you'll need to follow any recommendations for physio and care. The reason it may be better than 4 months ago is partly because there may be some spontaneous healing and partly because internal inflammation may have abated. Remind me if you've had an MRI and what it indicated?

Deciding on elective surgery is always scary. Remember though most people on here are here because it DIDN't go as well as they'd hoped. There are thousands of people having such procedures done who never even visit KG because they are off having happy knee lives! If you trust your surgeon and you feel it can help your overall quality of life and pain levels, then you should make the choice that feels right. Don't rush into something though just because of NHS waiting lists - thats probably the worse reason to fel you should have a surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted

Lottie x
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support