Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: medial knee pain  (Read 634 times)

Offline zerostatic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
medial knee pain
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:31:42 AM »
I hurt my knee about three weeks ago during a Judo class, I have pain along the medial aspect of my right knee. The pain is very low probably a 1 on a 1 - 10 scale unless I do anything that replicates the position my knee was in during the original injury. I've had a physical therapist do an assessment and she said it was either a grade 1 mcl sprain or a meniscus tear. I wanted to see if there was any tests I could do my self to see if it is indeed a meniscus tear. I also wanted to know that if the tear is in the area that will heal, about how long it would take to heal by it self.

Thank you.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: medial knee pain
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
As far as any test you could do yourself, you can look up techniques that orthos use, like the lachmans test ect. But these are much more accurate when a Dr. is doing them. A torn meniscus usually will be associated with some kind of catching or locking sensation when moving the knee, however some people just have pain. A routine menicus repair is  usually a quick recovery, most people on here say about 10 days on crutches and about a month to be fully back. Everyone is different and heals different so it may take longer for others. I had a scope done in Aug. and am still in lots of pain, I don't think my surgery was much of a sucess though. Good Luck!
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: medial knee pain
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
If you have an MCL sprain, some type of brace (I had the DonJoy Playmaker brace) would help support it while healing. I have had severe medial knee pain (much higher than 1 on a scale of 1-10, more like a 7 or 8 all the time), with no meniscus tear, but there still could be soft tissue inflammation or another underlying problem. I would continue to do physical therapy and try modalities to get any type of inflammation out from the initial knee injury. I had what was considered "minor" knee surgery in October, but am still on the long road to recovery, so if you can, I would definitely try to take a non-operative and conservative approach before considering knee surgery. Good luck!

support