Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Its been a long time but I thought an update was in order.  (Read 2620 times)

Offline cudos

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Its been a long time but I thought an update was in order.
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:02:18 PM »
Hello all,

Been a long time since my last post so I thought I would update those who remember my misery lol.
Well, as some of you may remember my June 1/2007 ACl recon went badly, ended up with lousy ROM, a misplaced graft and a knee full of scar tissue. My Rom was a very stiff 90 flexion and -5 extension. I spent months in physio every year and had 2 subsequent surgeries.

One surgery was for a debridement and the last one in March/2009 was to remove my crooked graft. I now have no ACL and no further surgeries planned due to the existing scar tissue and the fact that no surgeons here are capable of anything but making it worse.

I had known since the 6 month mark after my original surgery that something with my graft was terribly wrong and complained to my then OS over and over that it felt crooked. I was simply told that it was fine. After obtaining a 2nd opinion from another OS and having that OS tell me that the graft looked ok I continued on with my aggressive physio despite an MRI that showed the graft as vertical.

However, things were just getting worse, I was constantly packing ice around to knock the heat out. I was losing my mind and it was just before another debridement that I contacted a very well known Arthro doc in the U.S . He was kind enough to look at my x-rays and informed me that indeed that graft was too vertical.

I presented my then OS with the email I had received from this well respected OS and he did a 180 and said yes I know what he is talking about and went from doing a debrid to ACL excision 2 days later.

Needless to say I was furious and devastated after all i'd been through only to find out that this clown knew all long but kept me in the dark until I confronted him.

My ACL was removed and I noticed and immediate improvement in my extension and flexion, no more buckling sensations when bending the knee. However I still had a frozen patella, limited ROM and a knee full of scar tissue.

To make a long story short its now been 1.5 years after that last surgery. I did not quit and continued with patella mobes, strengthening and all the home physio I could muster. That included buying a recumbent bike and eilliptical trainer.

I can now achieve 145 flexion and 0 extension. I am back running, up to 8 klm's now, and although I still have to work my knee everyday throughout the day I no longer require icing. When I started trying to run again it was ugly, limping along and paying the price after wards. My knee is still sore most of the day and more so after running but I think I have pounded down some of that scar tissue. My knee doesn't bulge with scar tissue like it used to and is starting to look normal again. I can walk and run without limping now.

I'm not sure if the scar tissue is disappearing from the pounding of running or my refusal to not use my knee normally. In any event I'll take it. My knee will lock up on occasion , not running but just going from a standing position to walking. I just have to tighten my quad and push down.

If you asked me 1,2 or 3 years ago if I thought I'd ever be back running or just even living more normally day to day I would have said no way. At this point I could be worse!

So I suppose there is hope so long as you don't let AF beat you down, and when you don't think you can take that extra step, take it! then take it again the next day.

Sorry I would have liked to include more info on my story but I just don't have the time. Gotta run (-:

I hope everyone here that I knew at one point is doing better and those that are new to the forum, all I can say is there can be a light at the end of the tunnel, it just might take some time and a lot of work. My knee is far from perfect but I resemble the man I was before 2007, and that's a good thing!!!

Good Luck all,

Just as a side note, 2 years after my original surgery  I was becoming quite sick, I lost 30 pounds and on me that was not good. I looked like hell and my iron levels had bottomed out. As it turns I was eventually diagnosed with coeliac disease which is a autoimmune disease and can be triggered by stress or surgery.

I have recovered nicely in the last 9 mos since I went gluten free. I have to wonder if it was triggered after my first surgery and could the over the top immune response have led to my AF? All I know is that after that first surgery I seemed to go down hill until I was diagnosed with coeliac.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:18:50 PM by cudos »

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 23
  • From the Land of OZ
Re: Its been a long time but I thought an update was in order.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 03:16:41 AM »
Hi Cudos

It has been a long time since we last heard from you. I do remember how painful, hard and frustrating it was for you. I am happy to hear you have shown so much improvement since you last posted. What a tremendous amount of hard work you did to get to this point, including battling with your OS to recognize and fess up to the graft position. Good thing you got the 2nd opinion from the US AF expert before surgery.

Your diagnosis of Celiac disease is another example of an autoimmune disease connection with AF. Glad you have recovered. My brother had celiac disease 20 yrs ago. There are so many gluten free foods out there now compared to 20 yrs ago. I remember him eating some sort of rice bread. He can eat most things with gluten now without problems.

Keep up the hard work. It's paying off.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
Cudos,

What a great AF success story.  Your thread title should be changed so people know that.  Just happened to come across this while I was going through some other AF threads.  People need to know sometimes you can make progress if you just keep trying.

Good for you finding the right OS and getting the graft straightened out.  Amazing the first OS wouldn't admit it.  Jerk! 

I love hearing you are able to run and do so many things now.  Keep up the hard work and congrats for your determination at getting to this point. 

Lenore
07/07Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09 Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09 Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09 Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09 MUA
11/09 Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:32:10 AM »
Cudos,

Ditto what Lenore said, your battle is is reassuring to those of us who are more recently out of surgery.

It helps us to readjust our sights and timescales.  Although I am still impatient.  I keep saying to my physio that I know it takes at least 6 weeks to see any changes but I still want it TOMORROW.

Great to know that years on you are feeling more like yourself.  I hope it keeps improving for you.

All the best,
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

support