Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: patella surgery 2 months ago possible to have re break  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Ntaf86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella surgery 2 months ago possible to have re break
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:38 PM »
Hello. Two months ago I had patella orif with tension band wiring and two screws put in. I started doing physical therapy 3 weeks ago and everything has been ok. But today I was feeling knee and it seems that there is a gap in the knee where I broke the patella. What I am wondering is if it should feel like there is a gap or did it possibly seperate again? I did fall again but I didn't think anything happened? Please any advice would help.

Offline barmybrummie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: patella surgery 2 months ago possible to have re break
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
Hiya Ntaf and welcome, your in the right place being on this site, where theres a wealth of information and some freat people who can and will help you along the way.
I too had the same type of op as yourself and i have just started physio myself. 1st of all, how long ago did you have your op? I had mine on the 19th october and my knee is still quite numb and when i feel it, it does feel as though there is something missing but ive just put it down to the numbness. I asked the physio today about it and she said its all in tact as it should be and cant feel anything missing or no cracks. The possibility could be, depending when you had your op, is that the numbness is playing tricks with your noggin, if you feel that it's still not right, then you may have to ask for another x-ray just for piece of mind or see your OS. Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards, Simon.

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:45:53 PM »
Hi,
        I too had a displced patella fracture, that was 8 months ago, and i am pleased to say, that i am now over the worst.
When i 1st fractured, my leg was enormous, and i didnt have to touch it to know there was an obvious gaping gap,it was clearly visible.
So if you can actually see a gap, i would definitely get it checked out
Even after 8 months, i still have numbness, on and around the knee area, and it does feel slightly abnormal, compared to the good knee.
So are you sure,? like brummie has said,that its not your brain playing tricks because it doesn't feel quite right.
If it were me, i would go and get it checked out, if only for your peace of mind,as you did say that you had a fall,and you say that is only 2 months ago that you had the surgery,and according to my OS, the risk of a re-fracture is quite high under the 6 months stage,as the bone may have healed, but will not be fully strong.
I myself, had a slight fall at the 4 months post-op stage,but yet at the 6 months check-up there was a hairline crack, and the bone hadn't fully healed,so whether the fall had anything to do with the non healing i dont know,as it was so slight, i didnt give it a 2nd thought.
It may be nothing, and could be just part of the healing process, to your particular injury,as we all heal differently,but like the saying goes,it is  better to be safe than sorry.
So good luck, and i hope all goes well, and keep us posted on the out-come.
                    Kind Regards,
                                       Coral
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:07:13 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline fischbein

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:35:11 PM »
I hope by now you have gotten good news, however if you have a second break, never stop physical therapy, do exercises daily forever.  Some 47 years ago I broke my patella in a college pick up football game.  It was wired, and I was put in a cast for 6 weeks.  Five months later I broke it again in another sports accident.  Again re wired and cast for 8 weeks.  Spent about a month doing p/t.  Back then they did not push constant exercise.  Little by little the knee became arthritic, I had four authroscopic surgeries through the years, and finally a total knee replacement ten years ago.  Since then five other surgeries, infection and now chronic pain, living on morphine and going to pain management doctor.  I am scheduled for a complex revision end of January 2011, in hopes pain can be releived.  Cannot walk, must use power wheelchair and scooter am only 66 years old.
My doctors, some very well respected in the field with national recognition tell me this could have been avoided if I kept up with constant exercise and physical therapy, just done alone in home.  A little effort a few minutes a day would have keep me walking, now all I can do is hope that this 12th surgery can give me my life back.
Keep doing basic excercise on that leg daily.  I had a desk job my whole life and never did basic walking much or anything else, I let the arthritis start and that was the beginning of the end, and it all began with a twice broken patella.
Keep walking, good luck