Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: About to undergo MACI on my Ankle,please help.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline mandypaige

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
About to undergo MACI on my Ankle,please help.
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:15:36 PM »
Hi guy's

I have been advised by my consultant that I need the 2nd stage of MACI on my Ankle on 6th Dec 2010 . I am trying to put it off until after christmas as I have a young family and lot's of stuff I need to get done before my op.

My 1st question is . My consultant does not really want to delay and sais that he is not sure about freezing the cells? yet on the form from the people who grow them it sais they can be frozen and stored for a year? Has anyone froze there cells and used them at a later date? if so was it still successful? as im in a right pickle about weather its gonna be ok to delay or not?

My 2nd question is . Has anyone had MACI done for an ankle here? or do you know anything about it? my consultant has been a bit decieving so far and im considering getting a second opinion?

many thanks in advance.

cdubb

Re: About to undergo MACI on my Ankle,please help.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:34:50 PM »
Don't know anything about MACI for an ankle, as most of us in on here are knee people, but it would make sense if you have a focal defect in the ankle, then it should be able to treated the same way as a focal defect in the knee. 

As for the cells being frozen.  I was told after my ACI biopsy that they can store the cells for 2 years.  It takes about 4 weeks to grow out the cells from the biopsy.  Once they are expanded, they need to be used right away. I don't know how traditional ACI cell growth differs from MACI cell growth for time period it takes to expand the cells.   In the US, MACI isn't yet FDA approved, so we just still have traditional ACI.  There are a lot of regulatory controls here and it takes longer for new procedures to become approved for use. 

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
Some people in the US have had cells frozen for use later, but this was due to insurance issues.  If you're having MACI, I'm guessing that you're not in the US as I think it's not been approved there yet.

MACI is a different process from ACI in that the cells are grown in a matrix, not separately and it is possible that freezing is not used often as people are usually anxious to proceed as soon as possible without delay and the delays in the US arise from the insurance claims process.

cdubb is right that this is populated mainly by knee people but there may be some that have also had their ankle treated.

If you don't trust your OS I don't now how you can undertake such a major procedure.  The surgery is highly complex and the recovery is demanding.  Don't really know what your situation is, but if you've already had the first stage done there may be some constraints on your options.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline mandypaige

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
Oh dear I am really not liking the sound that they cant be frozen  ??? as no I dont trust my consultant and I really wanted them frozen at least long enough to get a second opinion but the way the consultant is putting it is... if i dont use these cells this procedure wont be offered again, I feel very cheated as this was never fully explained to me but I still signed the forms, I know stupid but they sent a letter saying they are going in to take a look, then when i get to operating room they ask do you understand what will happen? I say yes thinking about whats in the letter, they asked me to sign a form, then my wife informs me when i wake up all thats going on? Now I really dont know what to do?

Thanks for reply's guys.