Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unicompartmental knee revision to total knee replacement  (Read 4247 times)

Offline mcsweetie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unicompartmental knee revision to total knee replacement
« on: November 28, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »
I am 52 yrs old and had a unicompartmental knee replacement 5 years ago. It was very successful and I have had no problems until a few months ago when my knee started to give way, and I would then have excruciating pain in my knee and not be able to weight bear until I had bent and straightened my knee several times. Eventually something would clunk back into place and it would feel OK ish  again. Recently I have also had swelling and crepitus (creaking) and walking is limited without pain, not helped by OA in the other knee.  My orthopaedic surgeon has told me it is likely that as there is now some deterioration to the lateral compartment this causes strain on the joint and the bearing is moving as the joint opens up. He has recommended a total knee replacement. Has anyone had revision surgery to TKR and if so how did it go? Is it a longer recovery time? 

Offline mlbbarry

• Regular Poster
Re: Unicompartmental knee revision to total knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:53:13 AM »
Hello, I hope you get a reply from someone that has had a revision from uni to total, but if not I can tell you I am just three weeks out from a tkr at 41 years, and it is the toughest thing I have ever done.  I am pretty sure from what I have been told, when they do a uni they really take very little bone, mainly scrape away damaged cartilage.  The recovery is really tough but from what I read from these long time kneegeeks they don't seem to regret it.  Good luck with your decision and if you follow through with the tkr, jump down to the total knee replacement section and join our group, "let's stick together".  It has been very supportive having the knowledge from others.

Take Care, Monica
88' torn ACL, MCL, LCL repair
92' clean up
95' clean up
96' lateral release
99' meniscus repair, and clean up
2004 meniscus repair, & failed micro fracture attempt
2010 April, arthritis clean up and meniscus repair, poor outcome.
2010 Nov. 8th tkr left knee

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
Hi ML- Going to be having the same surgery in 2-3 months. Having already had a PKR in 1 knee and a TKR in the other knee back in April 2010, I will say the TKR was a much much harder recovery than the PKR, plus I've had scar tissue issues with my TKR, next to, not in, my knee. This issue is lingering 8 months after surgery but my ortho won't touch it until it's a year old. MEanwhile the PKR knee has been getting worse since before the TKR ! But it really has gotten bad now. My ortho let me have a cortisone shot in the unreplaced area about 3 weeks ago, which he said would probably be the only time he could do it. It didn't help at all. WHen I called to tell him that, he called back and said he would do the revision when I'm ready. I see him in about a month and will be scheduling the surgery then.
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline mcsweetie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
Thanks Monica and Caroline. Am going to have TKR in 5 weeks time. I know the revision is going to be a bigger op so bit nervous now! Recovered well after the PKR. The doc told me that to fully recover it will take 6 -12 months. He said probably need about 6 weeks off work.
Wondering if this is an underestimate. Though I have a sedentary full time job, I was off for 8 or 9 weeks after PKR although felt more or less O.K after 6 weeks. When I returned though I was unbelievably tired after the first week and unwell.

support