Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can an arthroscopy cause pes anserine bursitis?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Xeract

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Can an arthroscopy cause pes anserine bursitis?
« on: November 26, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
Hi all,

I've been having pain for the last year or so in both knees after an arthroscopy for suprapatellar plica on both right and left knees. The pain is on the medial side a few cms below the knee - in pretty much exactly the position of the pes anserine bursa if I've understood it right. I get the pain during exactly the same activities as before the op, just in a different place I also get a feeling of catching in the same place, mainly in the morning.

I'm currently having a course of alcohol ablation injections as there is some scarring in the fat pad of both knees, although they don't seem to be making a difference. No one seems sure if the scar tissue would actually cause the pain as there is no inflammation.

I'm not sure what my next move is (after the third injection in a few weeks). Is it possible that the arthroscopy caused irritation to the pes anserine bursa that hasn't gone away? I do have tight hamstrings, although I've worked hard on loosening them and it hasn't made much of a difference. Has anyone ever heard of bursitis as a result of surgery?

I'm also wondering if I have biomechanical issues which is why the two injuries (inital plica problem and new problem after sugery) occurred on both knees. I have very flat feet, an anterior pelvic tilt and I spend all my time at a computer. In fact, the issues began while I was spending a lot of time at a desk while at uni.

Since my initial knee pain I've now developed lower back pain, chronic groin pain and plantar fasciitis (pretty impressive considering I'm only 22 and haven't done any sport for nearly two years now :) ) which is another reason why I suspect some sort of biomechanical problem.

If I wanted to get my whole body's mechanics checked out who is best to see in the UK? Is there a profession specifically for issues like this or is it just a question of finding a good physio? (which I haven't yet). Even if sorting my biomechanical problems doesn't solve my knee pain I'm sure it would help the other problems which are really starting to get to me.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:19:41 PM by Xeract »

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Can an arthroscopy cause pes anserine bursitis?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »
A good physio will look at whole body biomechanics, but the spectrum of physiotherapy is vast and you need to find a good one who doesn't just apply the Tick List principle...you need one who explores your gait, posture, movement patterns, muscle imbalances and so on.

Other options include a podiatrist who can do a gait analysis but that will only look at lower body and spine. There are some combinations of people who are podiatrists and osteopaths and they certainly have a good handle on whole body movements. Gait analysis will show unusual patterns and compensatory patterns.

Where in the UK are you? People on here may have some recommendations, i'd certainly be looking at geting an opinion on whats happening through the chain of movement as it does seem it could be related. Our bodies exhibit the kinetic chain principle - one bit goes wrong (eg knee) and it has a domino effect on other parts....and so on!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Xeract

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can an arthroscopy cause pes anserine bursitis?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
Hi Lottie, I'm in the South East (surrey), it would be great if anyone had a recommendation for a really good physio. I don't mind paying extra or travelling a bit to find one :)

I've seen a podiatrist who gave me orthotics but I think I need a full analysis of my biomechanics.