Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee catching and lots of pain after surgery.  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Knee catching and lots of pain after surgery.
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
Some of you may have read some of my post before, but for those who haven't I will explain again. I had no knee pain prior to early April this year, since then it has been a downward spiral. I was orginally told I have osteoarthritis due to wear and tear from being a amputee my whole life. Os decided to do a scope after Synvisc failed and found I had extensive fracturing and delamination of the articular cartilage on the medial femeral condyle in the medial weightbearing compartment. He said he smoothed it back to a normal margin and then lavaged the entire knee. I also had many loose fragments removed. I had 4 weeks of physical theraphy and then continued at home, all with no improvement. Decided to go and see my GP for a referal, he sent me for another MRI, it came back showing mild joint narrowing and some effusion, nothing more. Mind you my first MRI before the surgery said the same thing, hince the diagnosis for osteo. He sent me to a different OS anyway. This guy told me the exercises I was doing is all wrong and all I should be doing is quad sets. He then gave me a cortizone shot and said to come back in 2 months if I am not better we will consider a scope. Well I have been in agony since the cortizone shot almost a month ago. My knee seems to be catching and locking as if something is stuck in there. I can push past the catching when I straigten my knee but not when I try and bend it. I know noone can really diagnose me just by telling my symptoms, but is it possible the extra swelling from the shot has caused something new to break loose in my knee. I had lots of pain before the shot but haven't had this catching issue since the surgery. I know I will never let anyone put another shot in my knee again! Any thoughts and should I call this new OS back and tell him what is going on or just wait it out?
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee catching and lots of pain after surgery.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
Sorry to ehar that Kim.

I can think of two things , firstly you said the cortisone caused swelling.  The swelling itself can cause a kind of locking.  4 weeks after my surgry I saw the OS and he said that my swellign was going down but the fluid was sloshing abou and i should keep moving my knee during the day to prevent it collecting in one place and rpeventing me from extending the knee.  Basically yher fluid inside your knee isn't just like water, but more like gel and it can kind of pool in a certain place and cause locking.  I had it after surgery from 4 weeks to about 7 and then it just went.  So nothing might have broken off, it could jsut be fluid that is getting in the way.

Anotehr possibility is that due tot he cortisone soemthing could have broken off.  Cortisone can cause damage to ligaments so it could ahve caused a ligaemtn to deteriorate and a peiece ahs come off and it also cause cartliage damage, so maybe something else has come off.

As for mris, they are never very accurate, they seem to show things up for soem peopleand not others.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
  So sorry your having problems.  I dont know if it could be what i had, but I had a loose fragment in my knee that was in my joint. This happened after a surgery i had, and for no reason.. He had to go back in and remove it. I had that catching feeling, and felt like something was stuck too and that was really annoying.  If you having alot of discomfort i would certainly call your doctor.        Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:44:01 PM »
Anotehr possibility is that due tot he cortisone soemthing could have broken off.  Cortisone can cause damage to ligaments so it could ahve caused a ligaemtn to deteriorate and a peiece ahs come off and it also cause cartliage damage, so maybe something else has come off.

Personally,  I believe this is a stretch.  Yes,  with multiple cortisone injections there is a possibility of weakening to ligaments and cartilage.  But this is uncommon.  Ligaments do not normally just have a "piece come off".  There would have been a partial rupture and a piece would come loose.  If anything the a piece of the already damaged cartilage would delaminate and break free.

Give the OS a call...It may not be worth waiting 2 months for a follow up.

Karen

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 06:32:41 PM by KW »
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
Possibly a bit far betched for a first injection.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 06:34:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! I am really hoping nothing is floating around in there again, I would hate to have another surgery. I am going to call the new OS and see what he says. I waited a month to get into to see him the first time so hopefully he can see me sooner. I didn't know that fuid could cause locking, hopefully that is it, because the mri did show joint effusion. It is literally like something is stopping my knee from bending. I am walking with a slightly bent knee because it hurts to put my weight on it. I can fully straighten my knee when sitting but it hurts and I feel a catch just before I get it straight, but can push passed it. My knee barely bends though, I can't even bend it enough to see the bottom of my foot. Also I had the surgery on Aug. 2nd so I should have had enough time to heal I would think.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »
With me the surgeon ahd told meit would happen so when it did I did not panic and I knew it would subside and it did.  The sensation you describe is very much like what I had.

support