Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how to understand MRI report  (Read 1733 times)

Offline treenshep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how to understand MRI report
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:35:59 AM »
I recently hurt my knee playing basketball, it made a pop sound and down i went , it has now been 5 weeks since my injury and i am in a hinged brace ,i have had a mri scan and this is what the report said, but i am having trouble understanding it

There is transection through the anterior cruciate ligament predominantly at its mid segment. The Posterior cruciate ligament is intact. The extensor mechanism tendons ,medial and lateral collateral ligament complex, popliteus tendon and retinaculum are all intact. There is however a grade 1 (strain) injury suspected as indicated  by oedematous change surrounding part of the medial and the lateral ligament complex.
There is evidence of a contusion and veryu minor oblique tear within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus that measures barely 7-8mm circumferentially ,which communicates with the inferior articular surface and affecting predominantly the outer third
There is at least a partial thickness tear/strain involvinmg the posterior lateral corner region ligament particullarly the arcuate ligament more so than the popliteal fibular and further clinical correlation would be useful.
There is osseous oedema /bruise of the lateral femoral condyle and the lateral tibial plateau, with a similar but smaller focal region of osseous oedematous change suspected also within the medial tibial plateau and medial tibial condyle. No macrofracture is identified.
There is a large joint effusion / haemarthrosis suspected but no Bakers cyst, and no concerning neuromuscular injury identified.
Referrer has been informed of the silent features and a formal report will be faxed shortly.
CONCLUSION
*ACUTE anterior cruciate ligament full thickness tear suspected at its mid segment.
*The osseous oedamatous pattern described does suggest valgus with a pivot shift mechanism type injury, associated with a minor oblique tear / contusion of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.
*No macrofracture. x-ray for further correlation may be useful as well as consideration being given to orthopaedic consultation.
*Superficial mild posterolateral corner region injury with partial strain if not minor partial thickness tear of the arcuate ligament as well as the popliteal fibular ligament being suspected,which will warrant further clinical correlation.
*Although there is no other ligamentous tear , a pontential capsular strain is not excluded- which can also in part account for the moderate to marked joint effusion/ haemarthrosis

sorry it is really long ,so my ortho surgeon says i have a tear in my acl and a grade 1-2 mcl tear and possibly some meniscus damage  ,what do es anyone else see in this report ,im confused

support