Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

would wearing a knee brace for quad atrophy help

quad atrophy
0 (0%)
weak quad
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Knee brace for quad atrophy  (Read 3726 times)

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Knee brace for quad atrophy
« on: November 23, 2010, 04:54:09 AM »
Hi

If someone is suffering from quad atrophy, would you recommend a knee brace when at work especially if its labor intensifing?  I'm debating on getting one due to my job but wasnt sure if it might keep the quad from not strengthening  right. like maybe it might feel as though the brace is going to keep it from getting stronger.  I've read knee braces can weaken your surrounding leg muscles.  But in the case of quad atrophy would it help till it becomes stronger in the quad?

What do you think and did you have a brace?

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Knee brace for quad atrophy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 08:26:04 AM »
Never ever use a brace for quad atrophy. It will only get worse. Braces are used for instability,unloading the knee and for support if you have been out for an injury.
The best would be to talk to a PT about the issue wether it would be suitable for you or not and if that would help you.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee brace for quad atrophy
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:53:55 PM »
I agree that the brace will only make the problem worse because the body will rely on the brace.  If you ahve a physical job then you must get the quad strength so that the knee is stable and safe and to absorb shock when walking on ahrd surfaces.  Teh weaker the quads the more weight the joint ahs to take and the more it is damaged.

I don't have a physical job, though it helps to be able to kneel but it isn't essential, so when I'm at work I don't need any kind o fsupport but when I'm out and about and walking on hard surfaces I will wear and elasticated support just to help with the shock more than anything else and I'm gradually weening myself off wearing it.  I never wear it indoors.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

support