Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Misdiagnosed ACL tear vs. Bone Bruising  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Hunpy`

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Misdiagnosed ACL tear vs. Bone Bruising
« on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:07 PM »
My 17 year old son injured his knee on Sunday while playing football with friends.  He describes it as being dislocated.  He jumped up came down stiff legged and said his thigh went in and his lower leg went out, then he fell to the ground and his knee popped back in.  We took him for x-rays because he was kind of "shocky", if that makes sense.  They said everything looked good no fractures.  We went home iced and elevated it.  He stayed off of it for the most part, but over the next two days the swelling worsened.  We took him to see an Orthopaedist who stated that upon examination he had a "classic ACL tear" and would require surgery to repair it.  She was certain this was a tear based upon the physical exam and the classic symptoms.  An MRI was scheduled and completed last evening.  I received a call this morning, not even 24 hours after the MRI, and was informed that his ACL was completely intact, he would not require surgery?  Ok...I must say I was elated!  They said he had remarkable bone bruising and that he would need to remain off his leg for the next 2-3 weeks.  He has had very little discomfort, though occasionally has a "sharp pain" behind his knee cap.  We have an appointment in 3 weeks with the doctor.  Am I to assume everything is fine and just say that it was a misdiagnosis?  I have never seen MRI results come back so quickly.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Misdiagnosed ACL tear vs. Bone Bruising
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 08:33:17 PM »
I wou.ld keep on with the rehaba nd see how he is by the time the appointment comes round.  The ACL might still be torn because I had an MRI that said my acl was fine and when I went for a scope it turned out to be torn becaue MRI's are not always accurate.  Plus if the Ortho did a lachman test for laxity and the movement is not within normal limits then it could be that he has an ACl tear that the MRI has missed.  When you see the ortho ask if the movement is within normal limits if it is then surgry for the acl might not be needed but if laxity is severe then he'd need a new acl to carry on football as a knee without a decent acl cannot stand up to the demands of such a sport.

I don't know much about bone brusing but I think there are people on here who can help.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o