Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain Relief Ideas Please  (Read 4391 times)

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain Relief Ideas Please
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:12:35 AM »
I cannot take much more. I am on the edge of insanity.

ACL/PCL reconstruction with meniscus repair, using graft from hamstring/patella and a cadaver achilles on 11/12/10

My chart in hospital said to send home with oxycontin and percocet. My surgeon never came to see me after surgery, no doctor did. Nurse cut off bandages and unhooked iv, sent me home with 10/325 vicodin on 11/13/10

Called doctor office on Monday told them too much pain, reply was to be expected. Called again on 11/17/10 and told them could not take pain please help me. Doctor called in vicodin 5/325.

Just gets worse and worse. Anyone know of home remedy for pain. Please.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Pain Relief Ideas Please
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
If the hospital orders called for percocet why did they not give you a script for it?  Call the OS office and ask.  You may also need to get with your GP for pain management.  Many OSes are just not good at pain management.  Are you iceing regularly and elevating as much as you can?  Also make sure to take the pain meds right on schedule even through the night.  Although I imagine you don't sleep through the night yet anyway.  It has been only a week for you so it is bound to still be hurting.  Good luck and hope the pain gets better soon.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
I ice 24/7 with an ice cuff, the ice goes into a machine and it pumps ice water into the cuff around my knee providing ice and compression. I am in an oversized chair with an ottoman. I keep my leg elevated on several pillow. I have to sit up in the chair because lying down makes the pain even worse.

Still waiting on my GP to contact me, I have given up on my OS.. Afraid if I call them again they will go to just straight tylenol.

Offline Hobbs

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:50:47 AM »
Make sure you keep an eye on your body temperature. In case you'll get a fever make sure to go to the hospital ASAP. Especially if the knee keeps swelling and gets hot. An infection is always a possibility and will be extremely painful.

If you cannot control the pain at all have someone administer a femoral nerve block and start taking the pain meds on schedule again. It can be extremely difficult to control the pain once it is full-blown and an intervention with a nerve bock might help calm things down.
There should also be pain (emergency) clinics in your area. Google it. Some OS have appalling post-op pain management and a pain clinic should be able to get you back on track.
Good luck!
Oct.  7, 2010: comminuted patella fx.
Oct. 11, 2010: ORIF w/ 3 pins and wire; FWB
Oct. 21, 2010: 1st check-up: walk w/o crutches @ home
Oct. 31, 2010: walk w/o leg brace
Nov. 11, 2010: walk pain-free, no limp
Nov. 18, 2010: 2nd check:  105 ROM; start cycling
June 20, 2011: HW removed

Offline Ironjill

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 03:41:35 AM »
Sorry to hear you bare suffering. I don't have much to add to the advice already given, especially the cyro-cuff and the staying on top of the med schedule.

I know from my experience certain drugs are better than others, I prefer tramacet to percocet for relief, it seems to be individual. Do you have a GP you could get into see to discuss your options with?

Hang in there, it will get better.
April 4 2010 skiing accident :
R. Knee ACL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, tibial plateau fracture, separated meniscus, meniscus tear.
L. Knee PCL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, meniscus tear
Aug 18 2010 R. Knee ACL reconstruction with allograft.
Oct 15 2010 L. Knee PCL & MCL reconstruction with allograft.

Offline Ironjill

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:45:46 AM »
Stupid question futuredust, but where exactly is the pain and what kind of pain is it (stabbing, shooting, aching etc)?
April 4 2010 skiing accident :
R. Knee ACL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, tibial plateau fracture, separated meniscus, meniscus tear.
L. Knee PCL rupture, grade 3 MCL tear, meniscus tear
Aug 18 2010 R. Knee ACL reconstruction with allograft.
Oct 15 2010 L. Knee PCL & MCL reconstruction with allograft.

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
The pain is in the knee itself, feels like the bones hurt. Also on the inside of my knee it burns, and that is where the largest bruise is.  It also hurts behind my leg and at the incision where the hamstring was taken.. and again in front of my shin where there is a very  large incision.

My brace sits right on top of both major incisions, rubbing them. I cannot change where the brace sits, because of the way it is made. The place on my shin bone is completely flat from the brace pressing on it, it also appears sunken in some, probably from the swelling.

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:31:11 PM »
My GP's nurse called me back yesterday. Said the they contacted the OS- he said I gave her 20 10mg vicodin on 13th and 50 5mg vicodin on the 17th and do not intend to give her any more pain meds.  I still have 2 of the 10mg and 25 of the 5mg.. and take them as sparingly as possible. I am literally on the edge when I finally take pain meds because I know I will get nothing else.

My first day of PT was particularly excruciating but I want to get strong and over this so did it anyway. Physical therapist was a bit appalled that was the only pain meds I had.

The nurse who discharged me at the hospital told me to take 1600mg of ibuprofin, but my pharmacist said that was a very bad idea given I am taking twice daily shots of blood thinner. I have not seen my OS since just prior to surgery, he did not come see me at hospital, no doctor did. I see my OS next week on the 24th.

While I was in the hospital they had me on a morphine pump that delivered every 8 minutes, plus gave me oxycontin, then every two hours they would alternate between two vicodin and two percocet.  With tordal and valium.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
I'd go and get a copy of your chart showing what your discharge pain medication should've been, and take that and the meds you've been given now to your os, and demand they do something. it's not fair that you should suffer. He may not have realized that you weren't given that original order, and they dropped the painkiller dosage figuring you got the original script and wanted more. Its up to you to draw attention to the fact, with your hospital chart copy, that you didn't get that discharge script, because someone there would've had to sign on the chart that they gave it to you.

Instead of taking them sparingly, take the max the script you did get will allow, so that you get the best pain relief you can for the moment. They wrote the script, they know how long it should last at x pills every x hours, and can't blame you for asking for more when it runs down to the last 2 days worth. Or in this case, requesting different meds because these aren't working. Keep complaining, they're not treating you fairly having given you orders for serious pain meds, then only giving you the bottom tier painkillers when you do call and complain.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Hobbs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »
dm is definitely right! Do not take the pain killer sparingly. If you wait until the pain becomes excruciating it will be very hard to control. Take them as they were prescribed and then go and demand more. Having extreme pain is detrimental for a lot of reasons and your doctor has to make sure you are receiving adequate pain relief.
Taking high doses of non-steroidals (which ibuprofen is) might also not be the best choice. A lot of doctors are not using them at all in orthopedic surgery. They are definitely not adequate for controlling severe pain.
Good luck!

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 07:19:31 AM »
Just got home from emergency room, spent six hours and came home with seven new holes in my body from blowing iv lines. I have an infection, so also have a new prescription for more antibiotics. The upside was they kept me on morphine while I was there, so I at least got it down to barely there pain- following up with pain meds @ every four hours to try and keep it under control.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Hobbs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
Wow, good thing you went to the ER! Bummer about the IVs, though. That sucks! But hopefully they gave you enough pain meds not to care too much...
Make sure you keep checking your temp and see if the swelling goes down in case the ABs are not working and need changing. Good luck!!

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 05:00:49 AM »
They drew several tubes of blood, 10 actually, then put two of them into these miniature looking wine bottles that had some kind of stuff in them. They said they had to let the bacteria in them grow for 72 hours to narrow down the exact infection. They also took a large qtip and inserted it directly into a healing incision, opening it back up, to culture it. I am on sulfa anti's at the moment but that could change depending on the lab results.

I have remained on ice and taking the pain meds every four hours, will be out by tomorrow, and will be making either a call or a direct trip into the doctors office to demand further help. I have physical therapy tomorrow, which scares me, because the last time I was there that night was so miserable I would of chopped my own leg off if given the chance..

I cannot imagine a patient crying in pain sitting in their very busy waiting room, telling my stories of pain, would be good for business. ;)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
At the very least the trip to the ER got you some proper pain meds.  I would do as previously suggested, get a copy of your hospital chart.  If someone signed you got the original meds then I would think the hospital has an issue somewhere.  Also can you get your pharmacist to give you a list of what scripts were filled?  They did find an infection, so that may have really made the pain worse.  Hope the antibiotics are helping that.  Let your PT know you are taking the antibiotics for the knee infection.  They should expect more pain when you have an infection.  If you feel up to it, stop by the docs office and see if you can talk to the medical assistant or the doc himself (preferrably).   You may want to call a head and let them know you are stopping by. 

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Hobbs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
I second that! Definitely tell the PT about the infection. It might be contraindicated to do lots of movement. Firstly, because you are on heavy pain meds and won't be able to tell if there is any severe pain inflicted and secondly because the infection might be an abscess, that you don't want to burst and spread bacteria through your blood stream.
There'll be plenty of time for PT later...

support