Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bilateral Femoral Derotational Osteotomies  (Read 621 times)

Offline orygun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bilateral Femoral Derotational Osteotomies
« on: November 22, 2010, 05:27:15 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been looking around the internet the past couple days since one of my 13-year-old twins saw the orthopedic surgeon. At age 2, he and his twins brother were treated for Blount's Disease with bracing. A couple years ago, one of the twins had some changes in his gait and I noticed his knees were bumping together and he was complaining about it. We saw a general orthopod in rural Montana where we lived. We pursued orthotics and PT with the doc saying he had flat foot deformity. Fast forward 1.5 years and we live in the Denver area and now have access to the wonderful Children's Hospital. On our move here in June my son would have episodes of excruciating pain in his knees when we were traveling. It would seem to come from nowhere. We would stop so he could stretch but not long after getting back in the car he was in pain again. During this time we also lost his orthotics.

When he needed to start walking home from school he was having pain in the bottom of his feet. To get by until we saw a doc, I gave him some store-bought inserts which helped. Now he has some pain in his knees when he squats in the catcher's position when playing ball with his older brother. His gait is obviously odd, his knees coming close together and he certainly has in-toeing. I heard 90 degrees mentioned with internal rotation during the physician exam. The doc said that surgery wasn't necessary but people choose it even if only for in-toeing issues and they are happy with the results.

My concerns are related to current knee pain, future knee pain and other difficulties. The physician did say that at his age it is a great time for the surgery. I am 50/50 and will take awhile to think about it. I would love to hear what any stories related to having the surgery done at a young age or wishing they had it done at a young age and not as an adult. It's pretty tough to figure this out. I am an RN and need to pick this to pieces and am having a hard time finding solid information on this.

Thanks!

support