Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain above the knee cap  (Read 8715 times)

Offline PatmanScoop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain above the knee cap
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »
Hello,

This isn't my current problem but it'll provide some background to my knees: I had tendonitis in both knees for two years before controlling the injury with icing, stretching and taking glucosamine/chondroitin tablets. Since the summer, when I began to feel relatively pain free, I've been playing football (soccer) 3-4 times a week. 

A few days ago I noticed a mild stinging pain in my left knee, which was coming from the top of the knee towards the inside of my leg (the medial side, I think it's called). If I'm sitting in a chair and raise my left leg off the ground fully-extended, then the pain is barely noticeable. I only feel pain when bending from this position to 90, and feel no pain when bending further. When my leg's not moving it's fine; the only time it hurts in a stationery situation is when I put pressure on the area (i.e. the 'boney bit' on the corner). I don't remember any collision that could have damaged that part of the knee - and the pain seemed to onset gradually. My knee has always clicked when extending after a period of bending, and it has always felt to be 'grinding' when I place my hand over the knee and move my leg back and forth.

From a bit of research it seems like Patella Femoral Syndrome. It does feel like something is rubbing when I move my leg back and forth. However for PFS the pain is usually on the lateral side, due to stronger outer quads or whatever - where as my pain is on the inside.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Patrick

Offline UKcats86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Pain above the knee cap
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:12:33 AM »
I have this same problem! The pain is like someone stabbing you in the top of the knee cap. Also, if i have to sit in one spot knee bent at least 90 deg over extended amount of time (like a movie or car ride) the pain is VERY nagging until i can extend the leg and strectch. I really cant figure out the problem and i have all the same problems you have, grinding, clicking...etc. Basketball is very painful because of jumping and I pay ice hockey so it usually hurts at the beginning of games and sometimes in the middle until i get warmed up (or maybe i just foret about the pain).

Does yours hurt when you press hard on the top of the knee?

Have you had any luck on finding out what the problem is?

Offline Kimberly 77

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »
Grinding, clicking, pain when bending, kind of sounds like cartilage damage. If you are active in sports like you say then it is not uncommon to have some wear and tear in the cartilage under the knee cap. you could have a floating piece of cartilage in there that gets hinged up once you bend to a certain point, but I am not a Dr. just have lots of issues with the cartilage in my knee. I have also read a torn meniscus can also do the smae thing.
Right leg amputee.
Osteoarthritis in left knee.
Medial femoral condyle defect, arthoscopy 8-2-10
Grade 3 defects, patella, medial femoral condyle, tibia scoped1-12-2011
Physical theraphy and awaiting microfrature 2-1-12

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
PFS is a catch all term, and the pain can happen medially or laterally. I get both! If you get pain bending from a straight leg down to the 90 angle with your leg out in front, then I'd guess at some wear on the medial bit of your kneecap. Stronger outer quads can pull the kneecap laterally, and yes wear can happen on that side but it can also mash the medial side up as it drags out of alignment. I'd suggest you get checked out by a Physio. Caught early you can probably stop things getting worse but if you want to keep playing high impact sports you should find out how to help it now. Alternatively it might be tendon inflammation again, but the grinding (crepitus) you feel when you extend and flex the kneecap indicates that the kneecap is getting a bit worn. MANY people have this - but the key is catching it before it becomes too bad and affects normal function.

Do you have a Physio who helped your tendonitis?

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline avance

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing better.

Any new developments? I came down with something similar :( just want to see if anyone got to the bottom of this. ..

support