Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PCL/ACL Reconstruction. Pain  (Read 1509 times)

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL/ACL Reconstruction. Pain
« on: November 17, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »
On November 12th 2010 I had a total reconstruction on my pcl and acl. My hamstring tendon was harvested and they also used a cadaver achilles tendon. When I was brought to my hospital room after recovery I was able to lift my leg up and scoot onto my hospital bed, no problem. While in the hospital I was able to get myself up and use the bathroom, using only a cane for balance. Most of the skin on my leg around my knee was completely numb.

Yesterday, day 4 post-op things started going downhill. I had pain prior to day four, however I could control it with the vidodin and mortin. Yesterday was a very painful day, and last night I couldn't sleep from the pain. My knee feels terrible, especially around the knee cap. The place where they took the hamstring is highly painful as well. I also started getting a shooting like pain in my big toe when I do the foot pump exercises, like electricity running through. I am also now having pain in the bottom of my foot.

While I was in the hospital the nurses told me that the doctor had on the chart he would be sending me home with oxycontin and percocets. Instead I was discharged with 10mg vicodin. While in the hospital, up until I was released, I was on a morphine pump and they were bringing me vicodin and percocets every couple hours. When discharged, just the one pain medication.

Right now it hurts so horribly, I cannot even take myself to the bathroom and am forced to use a bedside commode. I feel like I am now going backwards.

Is this normal, for the pain to increase in such a manner days after doing much better?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: PCL/ACL Reconstruction. Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:13:28 PM »
Call and get yourself something better for pain. No need to be in so much pain.
Are you controlling your swelling ? That can also contribute to more pain.
Your leg were numb from beginning and when that goes out of your body, you get more pain once again.
This will subside eventually.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »
I am still pretty swollen, but am using gel ice packs around the clock.

I called the doctors office and told the nurse the muscle pain was getting worse, she called me back yesterday to tell me the doctor said that is to be expected.

Prior to my surgery I was on percocets, I don't understand how I am now on a weaker medication. I am very close to insanity with the pain now. I don't have a clue what to even do.

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
The pharmacy just called, he called in a new rx, this time it is vicodin 5/325.. Less then he originally sent me home with...(10/325)

*confused*

Offline futuredust

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
So I have been reading all around the net today.. Just came upon an article that said one should not take ibuprofen with lovenox..

I called my pharmacist to confirm, she said absolutely not to take ibuprofen..

Doctor sent me home and told me to take 1600 mg of ibuprofen per day, while I am on lovenox..