Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lax ACL  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Lax ACL
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »
Hi

My MRI report shows that I have a lax ACL (along with various other issues). My OS has not explained this to me so I would be really grateful if someone could confirm the meaning of this term, is it just a sprain? Does it require any treatment?

Thanks in advance  :)
June 2010 - R knee TPF & Hoffa removal
Dec 2010 - R knee- Arthrofibrosis
Dec 2010 - L knee Myxoid degeneration of meniscus
Jan 2011 - R Knee 11 steroid injections & Synvisc1
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
June 11- Steroid inj, EMG & nerve tests
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA
Feb 12 - R Knee denervation

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Lax ACL
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
Do you have any stability issues?  Does your knee slide around?  I've got lax acls in both knees, one from a sprain and one from a small tear but the more I strengthened my quads the less movement there was.  On a lacham they feel a bit lax but still within normal limits  I've been told mine should be good enough to go back to Karate because the laxity is minor but if you want to go back to any kind of sport then make sure your quad muscles are strong or push for a reconstruction.  If the surgeon say's waht you have is OK for day to day life then they may not want to rweconstruct.  Even if you need it for sport it might not get reconstructed as a hobby isn't a good enough reason to have a new acl.

There's always proloptherapy, which I looked into earlier this eyar but  this treatment is still in its infancy and for acls it can go wrong and leave you witha very stiff knee.
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I dont think I have a stability problem in that my knee has not given way, but I do have a catching/pinching sensation and noises and clunking when the leg is moved from straight to bent along with pain. It also feels like the strength has been sucked out of it if that makes sense?

Because I have other issues with the knee I find it really hard to decipher what symptoms is caused by what problem! I also have more serious issues with my right knee so not having a good knee to compare to doesn't help either! I am seeing my physio tomorrow so will see what he thinks.
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »
Well, they will do a Lachman to sheck how much movement there is.  Ask them how it compares to a normal knee and a knee with no or very little acl..  Before my scope alst year I ahd no idea that I had an acl issue because I had excellent stability but after the op my quads were like mush and I did experience some isntability, where I would feel as if I could fall, thogh luckily I never did.
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.

Offline Stasha83

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I will ask for a Lachman test. I certainly dont feel like I can trust the leg 100%, it just doesnt feel as secure as it used to prior to the accident but I just dont know which problem to put this down to. The joy of having multiple problems!
Feb 11 - MUA & LOA
Aug 11 - MUA & LOA

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 07:09:48 PM »
Any decent ortho or PT will automatically carry out a Lachman Test, Anterior Draw test and Pivot Shift test among other things. They are basic diagnostic tools for knee injuries. These will all combine to show just how much laxity there is in all directions and if there are any other problems.

If they find a definite stop then the chances are they will tell you to go away and build up all your muscles around the knee to ensure better stability.

There is a procedure called a Thermal Shrinking but you would need to google that to find out more. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I don't believe that Prolotherapy is offered through mainstream health providers as it is seen as being still somewhat experimental and unproven. It certainly is not on offer here in Germany for example within the mainstream ortho world.

Depending on where you are in the world, they may or may not offer an exploratory arthroscopy if they feel that the MRI and physical examination alone do not give a clear diagnosis. If you are in the UK, I've a feeling you may only be offered that if they feel there is a real doubt about the integrity of the knee and you are "young" enough for a loose knee to cause further problems down the line. Unfortunately, in some Health Authorities this type of knee surgery is seen as elective and therefore has a no to no priority.  :(

In the Information Hub you will find all the diagnostic tests described in terms of how they are carried out and what the doctor is hoping to establish by doing them. Look under the Cruciates section or simply do a search on the name of the test.

;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »
If you keep falling voer all the time and are a danger to yourself then the NHS would reconstruct but otherwise getting back into a sport or hobby would not be a good enough reason. Then NHS isn't interested in reconstructing a person's acl so that they don'y get arthritis because they don't think about the future, only how much it will cost in the here and now.  Sometimes even privately a person can go in for an acl reconstruction because they need it to play sports and the surgeon goes in and finds that they have too much ligament there to warrant reconstruction.  This is because it is not deemed ethical to remove an existing ligament

I'd like to know about thermal shrinking.

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 08:59:36 PM »
Here's an interesting article I just found, it looks promissing.
http://www.physioroom.com/experts/expertupdate/acl_injury_thermal_shrinkage_sr.php

support