Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee feels like elastic band  (Read 16835 times)

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Knee feels like elastic band
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:10:56 PM »
Hi

Yet another post from me about this stupid knee of mine. Long story cut short. I have dislocated patellas and had operations to tighten the muscle to ttry and stop them. 12 weeks ago my right patella dislocated and this has been the worst one yet.

I still cannot bend my knee past 60/65 degrees. My OS aoppointment is on the 16th Decemeber, and I havent to see the physio until 29th november as she feels there is nothin she can do just now because i cant bend my knee

When i try to bend it, it feels like an elastic band which is just ready to snap. I also have pain and swelling on top of my knee and the inside of my leg.

Has anyone else ever had this feeling and what could it be.

Thanks in advance

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Knee feels like elastic band
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:29:57 PM »
Hi, i too had that rubber band feeling,the whole time throgh my recovery period of a patella fracture,it is now subsiding quite a lot,not completely gone,but no-where near as bad.
The OS told me that this stiff, tight, rubber band sensation is cased by the damaged muscles,as the muscles start to gain strength,this feeling will gradually get less.
My leg is now gaining strength, as are the muscles,i have full ROM,and so at 8 months post-op things are finally getting better.
All the best for your recovery.
                                          coral
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline shelly86

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »
Hi Coral

What kind of operation did you get. My operations were 6/7 years ago. I did not have an operation after this dislocation; although I was told I have patella alta; which is prob why my patella is dislocating, they put me in a splint and plaster for a total of 5/6 wks.

My life is totally been turned upside down because of this and I have now got to take a year out of uni for it

Thanks

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
Hi, i had the usual 2 pins and figure of 8 wiring for my fracture,but muscle wastage starts after about 3 days my PT informed me,so once being in a cast or splint for a long period of time,results in muscle loss,very quick to go,but a very slow process to re-build.
As you were in a splint for a period of time, i am presuming that your leg was immobilised,so therefore your muscles will have wasted, resulting in your stiff, "rubber band" feeling.
Dont wish to alarm you but it is a long painful process to re-gain the muscle strength.
  All the best.
                      coral
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 12:59:17 PM by coral 251 »
23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed