Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: private v nhs dilemma  (Read 871 times)

Offline JFoulds

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
private v nhs dilemma
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:07 AM »
|Hi, Im seeing the consultant this morning about total knee replacement surgery. He has already told me I need it, but find myself in the posistion of being made redundant in 4 weeks time when my private health cover with work will cease. I'm trying to have the op done asap so I can recover during the six months my redundancy pay will last. If I go for nhs I believe the waiting list is around 4 months, my pay will have dryed up and my chance of starting to look for work on crutches will be dire! Can anyone tell me if I could have the op privately ( if he will do it quickly) then switch to nhs for after care??? seems a bit cheeky, but has anyone done this etc. Really worried about it all. thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Ikneedhelp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: private v nhs dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
I'm not sure. I went through the NHS to have an operation on my knee, but then received a letter telling me they were passing me on to Bupa, which was great.

I would have thought that the NHS would receive patients in addition to sending them on to private.

In fact, once Bupa carried out the operation, I was sent back to an NHS hospital to have regular physio sessions.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 04:55:57 PM by Ikneedhelp »

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:51:11 PM »
You say it's cheeky, but the way I see it, anything you can get done privately will take some pressure off the NHS, so they shouldn't object. Also, a lot of surgeons work for both the NHS and private, and will have contacts for both, it would be great to get one of those! I saw my surgeon privately, but if I'd joined the waiting list I could have had the same thing done on the NHS, just in a different hospital (literally across the road!).

I'd definitely go to your GP as soon as you can to try and coordinate this. The fact you're being made redundant makes it clear you're not just after a queue skip, a good GP should be helpful in looking at a long term plan. Find out about after-surgery care; if it is just physiotherapy then how long is the waiting list, and can you join it now. Also, how many times do you need to see the surgeon after surgery? This is the really expensive part of treatment, and the thing you need to able to get on the NHS immediately since it's so important. I guess you may need to get on the waiting list for after-surgery care now, to make sure there is no gap in your treatment. I'm not sure.

Obviously your financial situation may be temporarily uncertain, so please don't consider this insensitive if it's completely inappropriate for you, I say this only with your knees' interests at heart! ...and I'm an accountant so increasing costs doesn't come naturally, I genuinely think it may be worth it. If you are looking at a gap between insurance ending and NHS care starting, you may find that self-funding private care for a month or two is not as expensive as you think. My London priced physio sessions were 40 each, one or two a week. Also, take into account that being on crutches may reduce your outgoings; frankly by being confined to the house I probably saved about 20 a week I'd normally spend on dinner or at the pub anyway, plus 30 train tickets! (I was able to work from home for six weeks). If the gap in treatment when you are not yet at the top of the NHS waiting list is only a month, you may only spend 400, and if it gets you back to work a month quicker it may be worth just paying. It's the 200 surgeon consultations that will rake you over the coals financially, hence the importance of getting a surgeon who will see you promptly and on the NHS for later consultations.

Note also I've never taken my treatment from private to NHS, I've been going the other way, but as a taxpayer I sincerely hope the NHS has the foresight to get you the best treatment it can through the private sector first, and then support you afterwards.

Good luck and all my best wishes for our beautiful, clunky health system and your no doubt beautiful, clunky knees!
Lulu
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline Foxy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
When I saw my NHS consultant he said the waiting list was 3/4 months. This was too long for me so I went private with Bennenden. It's not like BUPA in terms of what you get but I got surgery within a month. Once it was done I went to my GP to get physio on the NHS and that took about a month to get and in that time I had sessions privately (about 45) to get me going. It's now 4 months since I saw the NHS consultant so I rang up out of interest to see where I was on their list. I was told I wouldn't be seen till next Feb at the earliest!!! That would be 7 months. With the changes in the NHS at the moment I reckon we could be going back to the days where you're on the waiting list for months and months and months.

Anyway, you should be able to transfer to the NHS for your physio. I wouldn't know about seeing consultants though.

Good luck.