Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MACI practicalities  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MACI practicalities
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »
Found this with some Googling, answers quite a lot of questions (not Stanmore but UK)

http://www.kneeclinic.info/download/CKC_GNHFT_ACI_RehabGuide_101106.pdf

HR asked for some details, might send to them as well (not many gory pictures  :o)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »

I had the scope yesterday but am not going to be having the second stage - the femur defect fibro is still of decent quality but more importantly, there is extensive softening of the cartilage on the tibia opposite - with kissing lesions, the OS thinks the chance of success are simply too low to put me through the op and rehab.  He performed chondroplasty and gave me a hyaluronic acid injection which he is confident should help.  He talked about an osteotomy being a future option to shift the weight from the affected lateral side to the medial side which is ok. in the short term I need to get over the scope (very sore and swollen today) and see if strengthening the muscles further with static cycling helps.  So I'll be getting an exercise bike for Christmas!  I see him again for follow up in 6 weeks so can discuss the options further.   So a somewhat unexpected outcome but a potential option for the future :)  3 weeks off work for me and then time to plan a spring holiday!
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »
Hi Vickster,

Good to hear that your OS is trying to spare you the long rehab from MACI with low possibility of success.

I was in your position 2 years ago and had chondroplasty but I didn't have the hyaluranic acid injection. I also had a hemarthrosis following the arthroscopy so recovery was complicated and didn't go too well. As a result, I was put on the list for MACI for kissing lesions, but in the PFJ. I'm guessing that kissing lesions at the condyles are subject to more stress as they are weight-bearing.

It's lucky ( ???) that your lateral side is affected so that an osteotomy is an option. I just hope that it isn't needed and that your cartilage holds up for a long while yet.

Take care over Christmas and enjoy the holiday!
 :D
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline markld

• Regular Poster
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
Vickster,

MACI can and has been used for kissing lesions. It sounds like your surgeon doesn't have much confidence. Here in the US Tom Minas performs ACI to kissing lesions quite often and has great success with it. It is a matter of finding a surgeon who has lots of experience.
April 2008 microfracture left knee trochlea
Jan 2009 ACI harvest from right knee
Mar 2009 ACI right knee trochlea
July 2009 Aci left knee
Nov 2009 left knee scope to check graft

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »
Hi markld

I don't think confidence is his issue here, he has done 100s of MACI ops (including plenty on members of this forum), one of the leading OS's in the country doing cartilage repair.  I have a lateral femoral defect which is full of fibrocartilage (which developed after the initial trauma and is in decent condition according to the two OS who have scoped my knee), plus the extensive and diffuse grade 1-2 softening on the lateral tibia (no full thickness).All on WB surfaces unfortunately - I think that is the main contraindication here, not the fact the lesions are kissing

I also have grade III damage on the lateral facet of the patella.  It does seem to make sense that there is some malalignment (the OS did recognise a slight genu valgus / knock knee on initial exam) and that maybe an osteotomy is the way to go.  I am hoping the tidy up and Durolane injection helps.  I will be glad to be rid of the scope stitches tomorrow too! 

I see the OS at the end of Jan, so can talk next steps then.  I am inclined to leave anything until at least October as I want to spend the summer cycling on the bike I bought for myself today  ;D  This will also build up the leg muscles which should also benefit the knee obviously  :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »
Hi Mark

I think Vickster may be correct in her assessment of risk.  The guidelines here embargo MACI for kissing lesions although I was granted an op for kissing lesions after my OS consulted with international colleagues.  However, mine were in the PFJ which are non-weightbearing when static.  Even so, I am regarded as well beyond operational guidelines for the UK surgeons, but I guess it can be justified in the name of research.

I have researched this op and believe that kissing lesions that are treated are more likely to be in the PFJ open to learning otherwise.  If the lesions are the result of malalignment then this needs to be sorted out otherwise the defects may occur again.  If the malalignment can be corrected by an osteotomy then there may be no need for a MACI as the forces through the joint will be changed.  I guess the conservative approach would be to go for the osteotomy and see what the result is.  If a MACI is still needed then it could be reviewed then in the light of further knowledge.

I have to say, if she can get relief without MACI I'm all for it!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline KartBoy

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
Vickster

Your in good hands at Stanmore/ Bushey and if they don't think its worth going forward then I too would be inclined to accept it. I think its worth rembering that MACI/ ACI is still really experimental surgery and although many of us (me included) have benefitted there is still much to be learned and they don't know enough yet to be able to fix all knee cartilage failures, its is good to hear though that there are still options going forward and I wish you all the best for the new year.

Regards

Andrew
7th Mar 08 - Pedestrian hit by car
10th Mar 08 - TPF (Plate + 6 screws)
12th Mar 08 - TPF Revision
Feb 09: Hardware removed + scope
Jun 10: ACI Stage I
Aug 10: ACI II (Stanmore)
Oct  11 - MRI + Scope (In pain)
Aug 12 - MRI + Scope (In more pain)
Sep 12 - TKR ruled out :(