Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mysterious Popping + Pain  (Read 1090 times)

Offline clegane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mysterious Popping + Pain
« on: November 16, 2010, 04:31:22 AM »
Greetings,

I'm having some mysterious popping in my right knee. I believe it's related to the lateral-anterior pain I've been experiencing for a while now when extending my bent knee.

The popping is coming from my lateral condyle. When my knee is bent past 90 degrees, something flips over the very end of my femur. When my leg is straightened, it seems to slide back in between my patella and lateral condyle. It seems too anterior to be the IT band, and too lateral to be quad-related, and it seems to run from my tibial tuberosity to some undetermined origin above the joint. According to all the reading I've been doing and all the over-simplified anatomy diagrams out there, there shouldn't be anything in that particular location. Anyone have any idea what structure could be causing this?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:34:38 AM by clegane »

Offline clegane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Mysterious Popping + Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
bump

Offline SqshPlr8

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »
An inflamed lateral plica?

Offline knee always hurts

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:18:38 AM »
There is actually something that snaps or pops in that general location in my right knee. When I'm bending and extending my knee, it feels like a couple of bands are snapping over something in that general vicinity. I never noticed it before I started getting pain in that area, so perhaps it is related. As SP suggests, it may be a plica. If it is the superolateral corner of the knee, it could be the suprapatellar plica, as it attaches in that area and also stretches to the medial side. In my case, it feels like something is getting impinged in that area. Or if it is more lateral than that, it could be the lateral plica.

Interestingly, from all the medical literature I've perused, it seems like the medial plica is far and away the most commonly symptomatic. But there are documented cases of the other plicas causing problems as well.

support