Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to stay calm?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
How to stay calm?
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:58:34 PM »
I am having my PCL repaired in just over a week, and the nerves are starting to settle in. How do you keep calm during the waiting period? I booked the surgery a while ago, but then it seemed so far away, it didn't seem like a big deal. Now it's getting closer, and I'm getting nervous that something will go wrong with the anesthesia, I won't get the results I want, I'll be in more pain after the surgery and the surgery will have been for nothing. I'm not questioning whether I need the surgery, I tore my PCL about 5 years ago, but lately especially, it's been giving out on me, causing me a lot of pain. I take the subway home, and there are a lot of stairs between the transfers, so by the time I get home, I'm shot, I can barely make it up the one flight of stairs to my apartment. It's frustrating, and gets in the way of my life, so I know I need to have this done, and I have great confidence in my surgeon, but I'm still constantly nervous. I'm keeping busy all the way through the day before surgery, I'm going to Hershey, PA for an interview on Monday, so I'm actually going up for the weekend with my boyfriend to make it a little trip, and then the clinic/hospital I am currently working in is incredibely busy, so it's go go go as soon as I get there. The day before the surgery, I have another interview about 3 hours away, so I'll be driving up the day before, interview, then drive down the evening before the surgery. So it's not like I sit around milling over everything, I'm just overall nervous. So what do I do? How do I keep myself from going prematurely gray?
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

Offline surrender

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: How to stay calm?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:18:29 PM »
Your surgery is different than mine, I broke my patella and had surgery to wire the broken bone.  Being nervous is completely normal.  No one wants to ever have surgery and put themselves in that position.  Recovery is another hurdle.  Stay close to this site and post your journey.  People care and understand you being afraid and the unknown.  Best of luck to you.

cdubb

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
If you're not questioning the need for surgery, you just do exactly what you're doing.  Stay busy and try not to dwell too much.  I had a decent wait before my Nov. 3rd patella ACI/AMZ surgery and I know exactly what you're going through.  I had to go through it twice also because I had an initial surgery on 8/31 that was booked as a arthroscopy, possible microfracture, possible ACI biopsy and possible AMZ, so I didn't even know what sort of rehab would be involved going into surgery then. It ended up based on findings that ACI was the best route, so just the biopsy was taken...then I had to wait for insurance approval (luckily came back quickly) and then we had to book a date and then there was 4 weeks involved for the cells to grow... it was just a lot of waiting.  As it got closer, I did get a bit apprehensive, but at least I knew what was being done and the recovery involved and due to the ongoing pain I was having, I absolutely knew I was making the right decision because I couldn't continue with where I was at.  Complications can't be predicted, so no use worrying about them.  Just hang tight and do what you can to prepare for afterwards such as making things easier to get around at home, etc.  Knowing your rehab protocol ahead of time also helps because you know what timeframes are involved for weightbearing and ROM progression, etc.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:24:33 PM »
It is so normal to be nervous, just try to think about how you wont be in pain anymore, how you will be able to get up those flight of stairs with no pain.You will be in good hands, and everyone will take good care of you. Your doing the right thing by keeping busy, that helps. Let us know how it goes, i will send a big prayer!!!! :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Greta

• Forum Faithful
  • I WILL get better!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
We all know what you are going through - it is perfectly normal to begin to feel a bit apprehensive as the count-down begins. But just hold in your mind that you need to have this done, and that once it is behind you you will be so much better. It sounds as though you will have plenty to occupy yourself in the few days up to it and that is by far the best line to take.

I was really looking forward to my 2nd surgery (HW removal) but began to get cold feet the day before. However, once I got to the hospital I got caught up in all the procedures, so didn't have time to think about it then.

I have another op to 'look forward' to and I expect the same pattern will emerge.  :'(

We are all behind you and wishing you well - please keep us uptodate with your progress

All best wishes and cyber hugs  :)

Greta
1Aug:comminuted L patella#+RPT
2Aug:ORIF+cylinder cast
Sept:hinged brace
ROM poor
Oct CT scan:2 large bone fragments
ROM:45
May:all metal out+MUA[110]ROM:90
Sept:ROM still 90
7Feb:MUA[130]+excision to remove fragment;no arthroscopy;all cleaned thru incision
25Feb:followup;more PT

Offline soozles

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
    • PCL recovery blog
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »
Thanks for all the support. I know it's normal but I still get nervous. I trust my surgeon and I'm going to a great hospital. I'm trying to get some stuff together like baggy pants, ice packs, my dad will be bringing me a shower stool. Just wondering though, did anyone have to bring their own crutches or does the hospital provide them? I got rid of my crutches but my dad is in medical supplies so it's not a problem to get them ifi have to. I guess I'll just ask when the officE calls this week to confirm the insurance.
May 2005: Torn PCL, misdiagnosed as chondromalacia
April 2010: pain worse, lots of instability
Nov. 23, 2010: PCL reconstruction
progress here: http://pclrecovery.blogspot.com/

cdubb

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
If you can get them cheap, bring them.  If you can't get them cheap or think your insurance will end up covering them, the hospital will provide.  (my insurance covered 85%, so I paid like $7  only out of pocket).  I had them provided for my ACI biopsy and then brought them with for the actual ACI/AMZ procedure. I think insurance would have rejected a 2nd claim within 2 months for crutches. 

Baggy pants were great for discharge because the husband, nurse and myself worked them up over the brace to avoid having to take the brace off so soon post op.  (I was discharged about an hour after waking up because it was so late in the day and my surgery had been delayed). I woke up at 5:30 and was being loaded up in our van by 6:30).  It's kind of absurd for the magnitude of the procedure I had (ACI/AMZ osteotomy), but I fared fine, so I'm not complaining at all.  Simple point, was that you are spot on with having baggy pants.  However, have some tigher fitting yoga pants/sweat pants (Old Navy one's are great) to wear later one because the brace fits nicely over the slightly tigher pants.