Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)  (Read 47341 times)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)
« Reply #345 on: May 04, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
Hang in there Annie,
We all care and are concerned for you. Even though you don't like the idea you need to be treated so we can get to know a happier Annie. :)
Try not to be scared, you have a great hubby and an excellent OS in your corner now.
Take care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #346 on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:40 PM »
Annie,
Sorry to hear about the RSD.  Not a good diagnosis, but..... you can't get better until you know what you are dealing with.  Definitely take some time to process the info.  Sounds like you found a good Dr. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #347 on: May 04, 2011, 11:03:59 PM »
Thanks everyone,

The thing is, I already have a good OS who tried to approach this diagnosis with me a year ago, so I just do not know if I should use him and his recommended anesthesiologist for treatment, or switch everything and go with the new guy? I also already know the hardware needs to come out from the TTO, and Dr. W., complimented my current OS for how wonderful my alignment now looks (compared to the untreated knee). Both of the OS's are about the same distance from my home (about an hour drive), so that is not an issue at all, but I am just plain torn. I guess I will figure more of this out after I speak with my current OS's PA on Friday; until then, I do not want to make any major decisions about how to move forward. I swear, I rarely ever catch so much as a cold (just had the first one in five years a few weeks ago); I just get things like MS, cancer, and now, apparently, RSD. I am still in denial that I have RSD at all, so I am in a funny place mentally with all of this.

Annie
Jan 09-Surgery for torn mensicus/synovitis
Nov 09-Scope-Extensive Synovitis/Plica Removal
Apr 10-LR-Scar Tissue Removal
Apr 10-Hematoma Evacuated
July 10-MUA
Oct 10-Scope/Synovitis/Extensive Scar Tissue/Chondromalacia/Maltracking
Nov 10-TTO/Scar Tissue Removal
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #348 on: May 05, 2011, 03:33:06 AM »
Hang in there Annie,
You will get your head wrapped around all of this in time. It is just a shock to the system. Most of us don't like to know the answer and when we do get it we are not sure how to deal with it. All very normal. :o
Take Care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #349 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »
Hi Annie

I can well imagine that you are scared, confused, frustrated...lost. We NEVER want to hear that we have any form of complication, and goodness knows you have had more than your fair share. I think it is very tough to take on board a diagnosis that you don't want to hear, and of course the natural way is to look for evidence to the contrary. I think as we are all informed patients on here, we naturally question diagnoses. However, the surgeons are the ones who see it every day and with two good OSs mentioning the same diagnosis then I guess you have to start to consider it as a possibility. I know very little about RSD or the block they are talking about. What are the risks? Positive outcome ratios? I wish I could make things better for you - I had a foot op two weeks ago and of course had imagined I'd sail through at rapid pace and have zero issues. Two weeks in, and a wound that got sweaty in the immediate post op days with heavy bandage and a UK heatwave has now healed but cellulitis set in - mild, and I spotted what was going on as soon as it went pink and hurt so my doc saw me the same day and I'm into my pills. NOTHING like your situation but we never want to have things that set us back. I guess you will know more after the appointment this week. Don't rush into anything, this is a big one to take on board but you will get there. You're a brave and strong woman - look at what you've coped with and come through. I don't mean to sound patronising, but I sense your spirit.

Take care and keep us posted,

Lottie xx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #350 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
Hi Lottie,

I am so sorry you have experienced complications from your foot surgery, and pray you begin to feel better. We all know that complications do happen when surgery is performed, but when it actually happens, it seems a bit unbelievable. I guess we both drew the statistical short straw when we had our procedures done. For me, I think this RSD set in after the very first surgery back in January 2009, which is when my leg got discolored, and the abnormal swelling started. I asked my first OS what was causing it, and he shut me down, saying I was "just getting old", and he could not help me (I was 38 years old when he said that). I also saw a rheumy who did all her tests, and told me I needed a surgeon. One thing I am going to do before making any kind of a decision is to see my neurologist. This RSD is caused by an overactive sympathetic nervous system that has gone haywire. I am not the average patient since I also have MS, and I want his input before I do anything. My MS has been in remission for several years, but I am afraid if my spine is messed with, it may turn the MS switch back on. My body already sees my myelin as a foreign invader, and I do not want fluid injected in my spine, only to throw my MS into overdrive. Frankly, it would be giving up one monster for another, and I will not chance it until I talk with him. Also, this is something he would want input with, since he oversees my MS management. I had my annual exam with him in December, but I was so soon out of my TTO, he did not mess with my left leg during the exam. He is a wonderful doctor, and I trust him completely. I just think that anything dealing with my nervous system has to be ran by him before I jump in and make a big decision.

Annie
Jan 09-Surgery for torn mensicus/synovitis
Nov 09-Scope-Extensive Synovitis/Plica Removal
Apr 10-LR-Scar Tissue Removal
Apr 10-Hematoma Evacuated
July 10-MUA
Oct 10-Scope/Synovitis/Extensive Scar Tissue/Chondromalacia/Maltracking
Nov 10-TTO/Scar Tissue Removal
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

support