Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)  (Read 49696 times)

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
Re: Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)
« Reply #330 on: March 23, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
Hey Annie have you tried compression stockings of some sort might help keep the swelling down to a dull roar.  Just a thought you should maybe ask someone.
When You elevate a t night do you put it really high, could you get that great better half of yours to massage from the ankle towards your knee with your leg up in the air,,, always helps my leg.
I am just so sorry about all of this I wish there was more I could do or say. Take care,
Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. :(
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
06/09 Patella mal-alignment grade 3/4 chondromalasia both knees, PFS
09/11/09 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupRK
10/02/11 patella realignment,Trillat/LR/scope cleanupLK
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Scope LK,/RK HW removed 28/06/12
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #331 on: March 23, 2011, 07:36:31 PM »
Hi Rk4,

Yes, when I elevate, I have it way up in the air (not just sitting with it partially up in a recliner). After my PT did ultrasound, lymph massage, and e-stim yesterday, the swelling went marginally down overnight. However, by the time I got to work, it was right back up again. My limb is as swollen, if not more swollen, now that it was yesterday. I just spoke with my PT, who is calling my OS right now, to get an idea of how to proceed. I cannot do PT at all with this level of pain and swelling, so we need to come up with a solution. My PT is afraid they are going to recommend I go right back off work, but I will counter suggest that maybe I just go down to every other day. That way, I could still do some work, while maybe getting this under control. I cannot miss doing PT because of such an increase in issues, it is only going to allow the scar tissue to get an even firmer hold on me. However, this swelling is going to cause even more scar tissue to form, so I am in a bit of a situation here. I hope we can all put our heads together and come up with something that may help some.

Annie
Jan 09-Surgery for torn mensicus/synovitis
Nov 09-Scope-Extensive Synovitis/Plica Removal
Apr 10-LR-Scar Tissue Removal
Apr 10-Hematoma Evacuated
July 10-MUA
Oct 10-Scope/Synovitis/Extensive Scar Tissue/Chondromalacia/Maltracking
Nov 10-TTO/Scar Tissue Removal
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
I like the idea of compression.  With my setback, my OS suggested compression whenever I will be on my feet a lot, like at work.  I wrap it very snug, not so tight that it cuts off the circulation, but enough to keep swelling from building up.  It restricts my ROM, but controlling the swelling is more important.  It also gives extra support when I am running around school like a crazy person. 

Has your doctor considered steroids or anti-inflammatory prescription drugs to help with the swelling? 

I also like the idea of the massage.  It will probably feel nice and help too.  Yesterday, a friend of mine was listening to my tale of woe with this knee.  She suggested going for a full body massage.  Hmmmm... At first, I thought it was just indulgent.  But then I realized that it is not such a crazy idea.  Pain causes stress.  Stress is not good for recovery.  My hip is starting to hurt again because I sometimes revert back to a limp.  A massage could loosen up the muscles and maybe relieve a little pain.  I think it is worth a try!
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Hi Mermaids,

Yes, I have been on a prescription anti inflammatory through this whole mess. We have tried different one's, trying to find one that works well for me, but they all seem to help minimally. I cannot take steroids (allergy), so that is not something I can do. In fact, I cannot even have them on my skin, since I break out in burning hives almost immediately. It is an odd thing that happened after I had chemo, and my body cannot handle the steroids any longer.

My PT actually suggested TED hose too. I will look to see if I still have some left from surgery (they get kind of mangled after wearing them so much, and the elastic gets shot). I may have a pair somewhere, and will give them a try if my OS also thinks it is a good idea. My ROM has been an issue, and I am not certain he will want me wearing them if it restricts my ROM further, but I will find out. My PT also does massage and lymph drainage on my knee during each appointment.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Annie

July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Well Annie,
So how did your day go, have been thinking about you so I thought i would check in. :-\
Hope the nasty knee is no worse than usual. Well have to go put mine up was out and about with a friend today so the knee is angry at me. :'(
Take Care, positive thoughts and prayers coming your way. :)
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #335 on: March 24, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »
I figured you had tried everything possible, but thought I would throw it there, just in case.  The swelling vs ROM thing can be a vicious cycle.  To get ROM back, you have to exercise it... which causes swelling... and swelling makes it harder to get ROM... so you have to exercise more to get the ROM....  ack!

Hope the work day wasn't too hard on your knee. The last two days of work almost did me in.  Yesterday, I was not sure I could take another step, quite literally.  I was half way between two classes, stopped in the hall, and had to just stand there for a few minutes to gather the courage and strength to get to the next class.  I think I had an extra burst of energy because spring break starts tomorrow. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #336 on: March 24, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
Hi Rk4,

I just got home from PT. Again, she really could not do too much because of swelling, so she did ultrasound, massage, etc. My PT did place a call to my OS's PA, and was awaiting a return call. She is looking for some direction regarding what they think we should do? Should we try to further unload the joint, back down work a bit, get me in to drain fluid out of it again? The back of knee is bruised yet again too. The mysterious bruises had disappeared when she looked at the area on Tuesday, but they are back again in the exact same places. Funny how my joint gets so swollen, the back and front of my knee get so darn painful, and bruising appears behind my knee. It is all very strange, and still worrisome. I do not want to say anything to my boss until I know a bit more regarding what the recommendations of the OS will be.

I cannot keep going along with a knee this swollen, and missing out on PT because of it. However, my PT is trying not to make a bad situation worse by causing even more swelling, pain, and joint irritation. I am at a loss.

Annie
July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Oh sweetie, I feel your pain.  I am in that same trap of needing to do PT to help one thing, but can't do PT because it irritates another thing.  Grrrr.  I need to work to pay all of these medical bills, but I can't work very much because of the pain.  Grrr.  It is all very annoying and frustrating.  I am trying very hard to stay positive.  I am trying to not think long term.  I think about what can be done right now.  Baby steps. 

Hope the OS has some good news for you soon.
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:07 PM »
Afternoon Annie,
Just sitting here with my ice on my knee after my home PT thinking about you. :)
Sorry you are still struggling so, but I expect you do feel somewhat satisfied about having gone to work to make yourself feel useful again.  It is always a boost to the brain.  Glad to hear your PT is doing lymphatic drainage it is good and helps with the movement of fluid. 8)
Well got to go.
Take Care,
Prayers coming your way.
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #339 on: April 01, 2011, 12:38:06 AM »
Evening Annie,
Hope things are going OK and the knee has decided to give you a little bit of a break. :-\
Take Care,
Rk4
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline Rknees4

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
Well Annie it is Monday once again. :)
Just stopping by to let you know I  was thinking about you, and hoping the knee will get used to work once more.
Take Care
Healing vibes on route.
Rk4 ;)
Knee pain since teens
Cortisone LK 04/06/11
Chin up keep hobbling!

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am so sorry I have not posted in a while, but I have frankly been too upset to post. My knee is not doing well since returning to work, and it feels like I have tight bands pulling inside the joint (again). I have an appt with my OS tomorrow, but I do not anticipate he will have any direction for me as I think he is out of ideas. I have been struggling in PT, and got so upset last Thursday, I quit (at least until after my appt tomorrow). We spend all of my PT time just trying to get the swelling down, so I rarely do any exercises, and I am defeated.

In November when I had my TTO, fat pad fibrosis was found, along with extensive scarring of the lateral retinaculum, pre-patella area, and both medial and lateral gutters. I began making normal PT progress until around week 5 post op when all progress stopped. Now, things have gone backwards (again), and the scarring is back. I just think my OS is not well-versed in how to handle this, and as much as starting over makes me feel sick to my stomach, I called today and scheduled an appt with Dr. Wojtys in Ann Arbor. They are able to get me in on May 3, which is a relief. I was afraid I would have to wait three or more months to see him, so a three-week wait is ok. I can see that some of the others here on the board have had some success with Dr. W., and hope you can give me some additional information about what to expect. If you prefer not to post your experiences here, please feel free to send me a private message. I think I am doing the right thing, and since I am at the end of my rope here, I pray he can help me. I went outside yesterday, since the weather was glorious, to help hold a yard-waste bag for my hubby while he raked the yard. In about ten minutes, the swelling/pain in my knee was so bad, I can to come back in the house and elevate my leg. This knee is running my life, and I am tired of it.

Annie
July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »
Hi Annie

I have been thinking of you often. I had hoped your absence meant the knee was settling and work was providing some distraction. I am upset for you that things are not better. However, I think you have totally done the right thing in scheduling to see DR W and get a proper direction on how to treat this. People HAVE overcome AF and whilst I can imagine the thought of starting afresh is just terrible, life as it is sounds pretty damn frustrating. A surgeon with the right pair of eyes and experience in this should have a workable plan. I will be sending positive thoughts for the 3rd May, not so far off. I wish i could say something to help, but just know that you are always in my thoughts when I log onto KG and I often wonder how you are doing. Strange how we wonder and worry about people we've never met - but knee geeks understand knee geeks....

Take care and do let us know how the appointment goes. We fully understand if you don't want to be posting if you're upset. We're here when you need us.

Big big hug xxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2011, 09:49:04 PM »
Hey Annie

Did you have your appointment yesterday? I hope you got some positive suggestions. Let us know when you can. I often wonder how you are doing,

Lottie xxx
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #344 on: May 04, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »
Hi Lottie,

Thanks for thinking of me. I did go to Ann Arbor yesterday and met with Dr. Wojtys. I took all my tests and surgical reports for him, and they did a ton of xrays. I first met with Dr. W's PA, then Doc came in. He noted that my body over heals, causing too much scarring in the joint. However, he asked me to remove my shoes and socks, and roll my pants up over my knees. Then he felt my legs and said, I believe his exact words were: "You have the most profound, obvious case of RSD I have seen in over two years." He asked me to walk, and said that my quad is not firing at all, in response to pain and stiffness. I almost began crying right there, right then. My current OS suggested RSD to me over a year ago, and I got really mad at him, telling him he was wrong, I did not have all the symptoms, and refused to discuss it any further. My PT also suggested it more than once, as did my current OS's PA, each time I got mad and felt like it was a cop-out. I felt like my medical team was just unable to figure out what is going on with my knee, and trying to stamp it RSD. To be honest, I also did not want to have this cross to bear. I feel like I have already had my fair share, and just have a difficult time trying to face this right now. When my shoes and socks came off, and my pants rolled up, I looked down and could see what I knew he would see. He looked at his PA and asked him what the first thing he noticed about my legs was. His PA immediately said "they are totally different colors." My bad leg is also much colder than my good leg, and the swelling was all the way down in my lower leg, ankle, and foot. Dr. W, of course, wants me to have a sympathetic block done, and has detailed how to help with this. One thing he noted was that putting ice on my knee is terrible for RSD patients. I have been icing my knee daily now for over a year-and-a-half. Frankly, ice feels good on my knee, helping numb the pain a bit. I still am on the fence about this diagnosis, since I do not feel that I have all the symptoms of RSD. I have an appt Friday with my current OS's office to get my final synvisc injection, and will speak with his PA about my Ann Arbor appt at that time. I am not sure what to do now? My current OS tried to get me to have a sympathetic block done a year ago, which tells me he could treat me for this condition too. I guess I still am not convinced that is the problem. Dr. W. said that once the RSD is under control (if it is brought under control), he would then consider getting the scar tissue out of the joint. He said that until the RSD is dealt with, I will not progress, and rehabbing the knee is just not possible. I absolutely, positively do not want my spine messed with at all, and it scares me to death. I am so confused, and just need a little time to think things through a bit. Dr. W. calmly looked me in they eye and told me that even though I do not want RSD, there is no doubt in his mind that I have it, and it must be treated appropriately. He did note that although they really do not know why some people develop RSD, it is more prevalent in females, and brain lesions can contribute to this happening. I do have MS, and have wondered for some time if my MS was contributing to my over-healing body and scar tissue problems?

Bottom line right this minute: I am confused, frightened, angry, and a little depressed.

Annie
July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

support