Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)  (Read 48335 times)

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:45:50 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Well, tomorrow is the big day! I am scheduled to have TTO surgery first thing tomorrow morning. My arrival time is 5:30 a.m., with a surgery time of 7:30 a.m. I am expected to stay in the hospital 1-3 days, and am getting terribly nervous. I am as ready as I can be, and now am just waiting for lift off in the morning. I have had surgery on this knee 4 times in the past year, plus I had an MUA in July after developing a hematoma in the joint post LR. I developed scar tissue and lost ROM, so an MUA was performed.

I won't go into the lengthy details, but will just state that I have PF issues, maltracking, squinting patellas, patella-alta, subluxations etc. All the usual suspects that precipitate this surgery.

I am getting more nervous by the minute, but put on my game face, take a deep breath, and be brave. I survived stage-3 breast cancer a few years ago, so I already know I am a trooper. However, the level of pain this surgery will cause has be a bit rattled.

I am still undecided about whether or not to have a femoral nerve block, but will speak with the anesthesiologist in the morning about my concerns. I am afraid of the potential complications from the block, and I also understand it only dulls the pain, and does not really reach far enough down the leg to the area where the TTO is performed, so I am not sure it is worth the risk. I have enough qualms about possible complications from the TTO, and just am not sure I want to add to that box of worries.

I will continue my diary once I am back online, and feel like typing (and not spaced out from the meds).

All my best to all the KG's gang.
Jan 09-Surgery for torn mensicus/synovitis
Nov 09-Scope-Extensive Synovitis/Plica Removal
Apr 10-LR-Scar Tissue Removal
Apr 10-Hematoma Evacuated
July 10-MUA
Oct 10-Scope/Synovitis/Extensive Scar Tissue/Chondromalacia/Maltracking
Nov 10-TTO/Scar Tissue Removal
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline Kat_Walk

• Forum Faithful
Re: Annie's TTO Surgery is Tomorrow! (November 15, 2010)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 04:27:53 AM »
Hi Annie, first and foremost Welcome to Knee Geeks and best of luck with your surgery.
I can relate to your feelings of anxiety pre-op we have all been there.
I am guessing that a TTO is the same as a TTT (Tibial Tubercle Transfer)? (sorry I'm not very up with my medical jargon.. I think I have lateral and medial down pat, but that's about it ) :)

I'm very sorry to hear of your battle to beat breast cancer, you must be a very strong person.
On the subject of the Femoral Nerve Block, I had one, and wouldn't have wanted to go thru my op/recovery without it. My anesthetist put it in while I was still under GA so I didn't feel a thing and it was very good in helping relieve some pain. Put it this way, I knew when it had worn off!

When you are feeling better, I'd love to question you on the MUA, this has been tossed about in my case as I have a frozen knee and I'm really unsure what to make of it all. It would be great to talk to someone who has actually had it done before.. if you don't mind.

Well all the best, its awesome you got on the top of your surgeons list, first cab off the rank.. the waiting is the worst part, I didn't go into theater til 4pm and it felt like forever!!

Looking forward to hearing from you on the other side.
Kat xx
12/9 - Substantial Subluxation of L patella due to a fall
12/9 - 2/10 - PT for injury
3/10 - PT rehab (non responsive)
5/10 - Referred to OS
6/10 - Diagnosed Maltracking & patella alta
9/10 - TTT with LR
10/10 - VMO atrophy & muscle imbalance
11/10 - Diagnosed with Femoral Nerve Inflammation

Offline Bigman78

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »
Good luck Annie and all the best!!!

Hope the surgery is a success!
Visit my blog: http://aclrehab.blogspot.com/

Oct 11th 2010: 2nd Op to clean out staph infection
Oct 1st 2010: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Aug 26th 2010: R knee ACL rupture (soccer)

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:54:54 PM »
Good luck! I'll be looking forward to your post-op account of what happened :)
'04 - '10: Years of dislocations & subluxations

01/13/2010 - LR, MR, VMO Advancement
10/06/2010 - Fulkerson Osteotomy (TTT)
09/02/2011 - Scheduled MPFLr

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:31:28 AM »
Hope it went well today for you Annie, and welcome to the board.  Everyone here is the best.
 :)
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:02:48 AM »
Wishing you an easy recovery!  I had my TTT nine weeks ago.  I, too, was terrified of the pain.  I heard such horror stories, some from my OS and PT guys.  I am one of the lucky ones.  My pain has been minimal, as in, basically no pain.  I stopped pain meds before I was even discharged from the hospital.  So there is hope.  :)
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

cdubb

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »
Hi Annie,
Hope everything went well! I've been thinking about you the past couple days and sending good vibes your way!  I see Duckie, Kat Walk and Mermaid have already popped over to say hello. They area all great resources having recently been through this and have provided me a lot of support as well! 

cdubb

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:20:25 AM »
Just saw Melissa said hi too...didn't mean to leave you out on my initial response.  Sorry Melissa.

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for the well wishes and support. I am home now and on the other side of my TTO surgery. I am in a great deal of pain, and have a ton of blood in my joint (again). The same thing happened back in April after my lateral release, and I had to go back into surgery 8 days later to get it out. It is too thick right now to try to aspirate, so we are trying to wait until early next week, when it is a bit thinned down, and aspirate it with a needle. The pain from the surgery is bad enough, but add the pressure in the joint due to the blood, and it is excruciating!

On Monday, I arrived at the hospital promptly at 5:30 (only slept about 45 minutes the night before), was IV'd, given some xanax, put on my pressure stocking (on the non-surgical leg) and waited. In no time, the anesthesiologist came in, told me he would do general anesthesia (I did not have the nerve block), and that as soon as my OS came in, we would get going. My OS came in around 7:00, calmed my nerves, and wrote "Yes" on my surgical leg. I was taken back on time, and really do not remember much. The anesthesiologist began injecting various meds in my IV as soon as I was in the surgical room, and I was out. I woke up about 1 1/2 hours later, and the pain was pretty bad. However, my OS injected a cocktail in my knee, and around the area of the TTO, so it was dulled pain.

I spent the night Monday at the hospital with injections of Dilaudid every two hours, and percocet every 4 hours. I also was given coumadin and iron, and never slept a wink all night long. I was up urinating every two hours, so the wonderful nursing assistant (who I had met in April when I had the hematoma surgery) was helping me all night long. Yesterday, the OS's PA, who is also his surgical first assistant, was on rounds at the hospital. Due to the blood in my joint, I was told not to begin PT until after I see the surgeon. I was originally set to see him two weeks after surgery, but it was moved up to next week. I was also taken down to 30 degrees on my CPM, instead of beginning at 40 degrees.

I got home last night, and started with chills and a low-grade fever (around 99.6), but did  not worry too much about it. My paperwork says to call if I run a fever over 101 degrees, which I have not. I slept until around 5 a.m. this morning, and have been up ever since.

I was sent home with Mobic, oxycontin, and Norco for BT pain. I am also to take a 325 mg aspirin 2xs per day to avoid blood clots. I am trying to get by with just the Norco, as the oxycontin makes me feel a little wonky, but will take it if push comes to shove. I am WBAT, in a mobilizing brace locked at full extension, and on crutches. My incision goes from the top of my knee, all the way down to about 3 inches below my kneecap. My spirits are up, even with the pain and complications, and I am hopeful for better days ahead.

The blood rushes are pretty bad. When I get up, I do it in increments, allowing my leg to get used to the change in position, and it helps some. I also have a stool to prop my leg on in front of the toilet, which is helpful in alleviating pain. My nurse aide put the bathroom garbage can in front of the toilet for me too, and it was helpful.

It was odd, when I went into surgery, my IV was in the back of my hand. When I woke up from surgery, it had been moved to the inside of my wrist. I guess it must have been a bad line, or popped out and had to be moved.

I will update again as time moves forward.

Annie
July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:15:35 PM »
Annie, I'm glad to hear you're home. That'll probably make you feel better alone.

I'm sorry to hear you have bleeding in your joints again. That sounds awfully painful. I can remember having to pee a lot when I spent my night in the hospital. I was up every two hours, but the nurses got me a commode so I didn't have to travel all the way to the bathroom.

Don't skimp on the pain meds...if you fall behind on the pain you'll never catch up and you'll end up back in the hospital. It's not a game you want to play. If you're in pain, take the meds...and then sleep!

That's a large scar for just a TTO. Did you have anything else done while they were in there? I didn't see anything in your original post. My TTO scar is only about 1.5-2 inches long, underneath my kneecap towards the lateral side of my tibia...but my surgeon did say he practiced a new technique for days before he did surgery on me to avoid excess scaring...so maybe I'm a weird exception.

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 07:34:25 PM »
Glad you are over the worst part.  It will just get better and better each day.

My scar is about 5 inches, but my OS had to my TTT a different way due to the weirdness of my knee.  I guess that required a bigger incision.  I am very short, so 5 inches on me goes down quite a ways.  In my opinion, a small price to pay for a good outcome. 

Don't be surprised if you don't sleep through the night for quite some time.  Seems be a common issue after this surgery.  Nap when you can.
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »
Thanks everyone! I am definitely feeling the pain and burning in the joint. I feel like my knee is radiating heat, although it is not red. I just do not think they make ice that is cold enough :-\

Duckie, I think my incision is so big because he had to clean out a ton of scar tissue. I keep getting so much scar tissue due to bleeding into the joint post-surgically, and here I am bleeding into the joint yet again....very frustrating. I was told that clearing scar tissue out is a lot like scraping the inside of a melon with a razor blade. It worries me about the blood, since scar tissue carries it's own problems, but I will just try to role with the punches.

Do not worry, I will definitely take my pain meds. I would never sit around in pain post-surgically when we have medicine to help with that. I was not shy to ask for more in the hospital when I needed it either. Some nurses are better than others at keeping a good pain-med schedule, so I had to ring the nurse a few times.The whole reason my OS keeps his TTO patients in the hospital overnight is for pain relief, so I expect the nurses to follow his protocol. I am doing pretty well with the Norco and ice, but when it gets close to time for the next dose, the pain really amps up.

My ankle really hurts, and my foot keeps falling asleep, really annoying. I am ankle pumping often, to keep the blood flowing.

My mom is here now making a good, healthy dinner; she is such a good mom...God bless her  :)
July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR

Offline duckie857

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 04:36:55 AM »
Okay, your incision size makes a bit more sense to me now! ;) it sucks that you had to have so much scar tissue removed, though. Odd that it doesn't happen to all of us. The idea of having fluid taken out of me knee squigs me out sooo much! That'd have me running for the hills (if I could run!)

I'm glad you know to stay on top of the pain meds, too many people fall behind on them and end up back in the hospital a few days post-op.

Take advantage of the mommy sympathy card! My aunt (mom #2) took care of me for 2 weeks. Bless her heart! She didn't have to. She's actually recovering from foot surgery now and keeps calling to tell me she understands my pain and struggles sooo much more now that she's NWB and on crutches. Poor thing has screws in her foot. Isn't it odd that I think I'd find that more troublesome than the TTO? Ha.

You aren't the only one with ankle pain. Cdubb is currently going through that! I can remember my foot going tingly like it fell asleep.

Oh! Are you in a ROM brace or an immobilizer?

cdubb

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:06 AM »
Hi Annie,
Just reading through your diary now.  Sorry I haven't logged in sooner...I've had a rough day myself and slept a lot of it away due to some increased in pain meds.  I e-mailed you though...so I don't feel too neglectful!  Glad to see that the other TT girls are providing support! 

Definitely keep up on the pains meds...don't worry about taking too much as long as you're staying within the parameters of what is prescribed.  That's why they prescribe them. 

I hear you on the ankle pain...mine has been so painful the past 3 days and only increasing, which is odd since I'm 2 weeks out and my knee kis feeling pretty decent all things considered...that or my ankle hurts so much that it makes me forget about the knee.  I'm even struggling with my heel/toe touch weightbearing because it increases the ankle pain, which I haven't had any issues with weightbearing what I am permitted  with since day 1.  I have had ankle pain since the beginning, but I just attributed it to all the swelling, now the swelling is gone and it's hurts even more.  My foot was very tingly for several days post op.

Offline annie5970

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:39:05 PM »
Okay, your incision size makes a bit more sense to me now! ;) it sucks that you had to have so much scar tissue removed, though. Odd that it doesn't happen to all of us. The idea of having fluid taken out of me knee squigs me out sooo much! That'd have me running for the hills (if I could run!)

I'm glad you know to stay on top of the pain meds, too many people fall behind on them and end up back in the hospital a few days post-op.

Take advantage of the mommy sympathy card! My aunt (mom #2) took care of me for 2 weeks. Bless her heart! She didn't have to. She's actually recovering from foot surgery now and keeps calling to tell me she understands my pain and struggles sooo much more now that she's NWB and on crutches. Poor thing has screws in her foot. Isn't it odd that I think I'd find that more troublesome than the TTO? Ha.

You aren't the only one with ankle pain. Cdubb is currently going through that! I can remember my foot going tingly like it fell asleep.

Oh! Are you in a ROM brace or an immobilizer?

I am in an immobilizer for the first two weeks, then I will be switched to a ROM brace. I am getting sort of worried about the immense pressure in my joint from the blood. My knee is burning hot, and I have had a slight fever off and on for two days. I feel bad having to call the doctor about yet another complication (makes me feel guilty in a foolish way).
July 10-MUA
Knee Aspirated 20 Times
July 11-LK TKR